The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2 Problem

963 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  BigBandit
So attached to my reactor is a aquatek bubblecounter/check valve.

I am currently at 1 bubble per second after an hour after doing my first mix. Only problem is, once i connect the BC/CV (what i will use to refer to bubble counter/check valve) to my temporary airstone diffuser, the bubbles stop in the BC/CV. I thought it was the airstone being clogged or something so i removed it and put the tubing coming from the BC/CV directly into the water and the same thing happened.

Its as if I am covering up the whole completely with my finger. The bubbles just stop. Basically what I think is happening is that there isn't enough pressure for the bubbles to push themselves through the water or airstone (even though the bubbles came out of the airstone for the first few seconds) Is it safe to wait for the pressure to build up that way it could push through to the airstone? Is this happening only because the mixture is only an hour or so old? Thanks

BTW, I plan on using the hagen elite mini filter as my diffuser because of the recommendations from many other DIY'ers here on this forum. For the rest of tonight, I'm leaving the BC/CV unattached to nothing at the top so that there is no pressure buildup.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
yes, wait a few hours, the yeast wont produce enough pressure right away. just leave it in there with the airstone and come back later.
I tried it again this morning. I attached the airstone and as soon as I put it in my tank, the bubbles stopped. If I brought it out of the water, the bubbles continued. Is this normal?
Have you double checked to ensure the check valve is connected properly?

If so, check for leaks, the more connections you have between your CO2 generators and your tank/diffuser the increased likelihood you'll have a leak somewhere. The pressure is going to take the route of least resistance, which could be the caps of the bottles, crack in the bubble counter or check valve, etc.

There are plenty of techniques for checking for leaks, I prefer not to use soap on anything I put on or near my aquarium, so I tested my system in the sink under water.
Have you double checked to ensure the check valve is connected properly?

If so, check for leaks, the more connections you have between your CO2 generators and your tank/diffuser the increased likelihood you'll have a leak somewhere. The pressure is going to take the route of least resistance, which could be the caps of the bottles, crack in the bubble counter or check valve, etc.

There are plenty of techniques for checking for leaks, I prefer not to use soap on anything I put on or near my aquarium, so I tested my system in the sink under water.
Could be. My check valve and bubble counter are the same unit and the bubbles reach that unit fine. The bubbles come up through the check valve / bubble counter just fine. I don't think it's a leak.

Has no one else experienced this problem before?
I have seen that. The yeast generates enough pressure to emit CO2 when the tubing has no restrictions, and when it is not very deep in the water. But add any restrictions, including the pressure from a tall water column and the CO2 quits.

I would get rid of the obstructions. You do not need a bubble counter.
I use a separator jar instead of a check valve. It is wide open, rather than restrictive.
I have seen that. The yeast generates enough pressure to emit CO2 when the tubing has no restrictions, and when it is not very deep in the water. But add any restrictions, including the pressure from a tall water column and the CO2 quits.

I would get rid of the obstructions. You do not need a bubble counter.
I use a separator jar instead of a check valve. It is wide open, rather than restrictive.
Do you think it could be that my bubble counter/check valve are meant more for pressurized systems? It doesn't make sense but I guess it could be a possibility. I could always purchase a standard check valve since they only cost a couple bucks.

Maybe it's just that the mix is fairly new? That doesn't make too much sense either since the bubbles are showing up fine in the bubble counter.

I love how both possibilities I've mentioned don't make sense. Lol
It does not always make sense, but when you are dealing with a low pressure system anything you add that impedes the flow causes big problems.

Strip it down to bare essentials. Wide open plumbing, not lots of fittings.

Yes, it could be a new batch just getting started, but after 3 days it ought to be cooking pretty good. It is not in the flow of an air conditioner or otherwise too cold, is it?

Is the yeast from a batch that worked before? How do you store the yeast between batches? Could the yeast be getting old?
It does not always make sense, but when you are dealing with a low pressure system anything you add that impedes the flow causes big problems.

Strip it down to bare essentials. Wide open plumbing, not lots of fittings.

Yes, it could be a new batch just getting started, but after 3 days it ought to be cooking pretty good. It is not in the flow of an air conditioner or otherwise too cold, is it?

Is the yeast from a batch that worked before? How do you store the yeast between batches? Could the yeast be getting old?
Well when I checked it this morning before I went to work (4am pacific time) it did the same thing and it had been 6-7 hours since I mixed the batch.

I'm afraid its already stripped down. Reactor to BC/CV to airstone.

It's nowhere near the AC.

The yeast was the from a package I just opened for the first time. I'm a first timer.
make a new batch, sometimes the yeast is a bad batch. but this time just difuse your co2 directly into the tank without the bc/cv. once you see a steady stream of bubbles coming out, attach your bc/cv and come back a few hours later. If it stopped then you know for sure the yeast was good but it didnt produce enough pressure for it to work.
make sure once you unscrew the cap to give it enough time (several hours) to build back the pressure since all of it was release when you return your bc/cv onto the system.
Im having the same problem, just made a new batch with new regulator bottle im getting a bubble every second in the filter bottle, will send update.:icon_roll
Mark mine has ALREADY STARTED WORKING WITHIN 30 MINUTES! I whent with a different mixture, 2 liter bottle, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon yeast, 1 1/2 cups of sugar water @ 104 degs, but befor i added the yeast to bottle with the sugar and baking soda I allowed the yeast to set in a another cup with 1 teaspoon of sugar and stired it up and once it started to foam i added it to the regulator bottle with the sugar and baking soda.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.