The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been really interested in planted aquarium and i have an empty 75 smiling at me! so can diy co2 work in an aquarium of this size?lights are no problem,i'm an electrician make my own lighting fixture but reading everything on co2 equipment makes me dizzy!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Pressurized CO2 is really pretty simple and easy. If you get your regulator assembly from CO2 Stuff For Sale things should just kinda fall into place for you. And, DIY CO2 loses its fun aspect pretty quickly I found.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i had two 2-liter bottles of DIY CO2 on a 25 gallon and the tank had a bunch of algae. Plus it was a lot of work! For about $150 you can get a complete setup and only have to worry about the CO2 once or twice a year (when you refilll the canister of CO2). You will enjoy the tank soooo much more if you have pressurized on that size tank, trust me. So if you can afford it, do it. The ones from Rex (the best) or all-in-ones from JBJ or Milwaukee are EXTREMELY easy to use - just screw them onto the CO2 canister and hookup the tubing to the tank using a reactor or diffusor or airstone.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I did it for a year on my 75 gwith some problems mainly leaking caps ect and i found the best way for me was a 5 gal jug 2 kg of sugar ( one bag ) a few teaspoons of yeast and a lot of hot water. i screwed a hole in the cap smaller than the hoze and cut an angle on the hose and stuck it in. i found that a hose into a power head worked best as well good luck. when it worked it worked great plants pearled like crazy.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I did something similar to D.gilly, I used a single 2.5 gallon jug. This worked, but only with 2 watts per gallon. I went pressurized in May and never looked back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts