The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was all excited to attempt a DIY CO2 today....got my sturdy bottle, airline tubing, check valve, and a fluval co2 diffuser. However when i was setting it all up i don't think the diffuser worked bc i blew into the end of the tubing and no bubbles came out at all. Does anyone know how i can do a diy diffuser or where i can buy a good one online?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Not sure what diffuser you're referring to. If it's any kind of ceramic disc, there's no way that blowing into it would create bubbles. It takes a heck of a lot more pressure than that.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Yea it was a ceramic one, haha woops....so than would a DIY setup even produce enough pressure?
Probably. Not all diffusers will work with a DIY setup. Generally the cheap glass ones will. Not sure about the Fluval. You'll have to give it a shot. If nothing happens after 24 hours, try something different. A simple bamboo chopstick stuffed into the end of the airline will do the job in a pinch.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably. Not all diffusers will work with a DIY setup. Generally the cheap glass ones will. Not sure about the Fluval. You'll have to give it a shot. If nothing happens after 24 hours, try something different. A simple bamboo chopstick stuffed into the end of the airline will do the job in a pinch.
Interesting idea kev....ill be sure to give it a shot tomorrow night and see how it goes. Do you by chance have a suggestion for ingredients, like how much sugar/yeast and how long typically lasts?

·
Registered
733 Posts
typically around 2-3 weeks, depending on your mixture.

btw, there are tons of threads on the subject. do a little searching if you have some time. there is a bunch of info regarding ingredients, mixture, diffusing, etc.

good luck dude.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I used a gallon container with 1/2 teaspoon yeast ( which for a two litre is set for twoo weeks) and 6 cups of sugar. I got about 4 weeks out oof iit. More accurately 3 weeks and 3-5 days

Ceramic diffuser worked fine for me. Actually about 15 min oof stirring everything together my diffuser started releasing bubbles.

Make sure u seal ur container real well or it will leak and no diffuser will work.
No matter home many threads u see saying drill a small hole and squeeze the line through. Go the xtra mile, put a little tank sealant around it. It takes 48 hours to cure but its worth it. I never had a leak

·
Registered
287 Posts
I keep preaching about champagne yeast and guess I'll do it again. :)

2L, 2cups sugar, 1/2 tsp champagne yeast, 1/4 tsp baking soda = on its 10th week. Starting to slow down a bit but still producing. Have never had a champagne yeast setup go for any amount of time shorter than six weeks.

Wow - that is rather a compelling argument.

BTW - More Yeast = More CO2, but for a shorter time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As far as your diffuser goes. I would look up lee's wood block diffusers. They are cheap and easily replaceable. And it puts off a much smaller bubble than an airstone. And just FYI a chopstick stuck in the end would provide too large of a bubble forthe water to even try to absorb. That's a last resort kinda thing only.

How big is the tank? Filter type? Fish?
This will be what tells you how far you need to go with your co2 setup. I have used DIY in my 75. (yea I said it 75) and it works perfectly. I only use two bottles and a power head/gravel vac setup.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How big is the tank? Filter type? Fish?
This will be what tells you how far you need to go with your co2 setup. I have used DIY in my 75. (yea I said it 75) and it works perfectly. I only use two bottles and a power head/gravel vac setup.
thanks for all the input....but i have a 55 gallon tank, mainland 350gph biowheel filter, and only a few tetras for now. also the tank is lightly planted now but ultimately i would like it heavily planted

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same scenario, home made yeast and sugar bottles, fluval Co2 diffuser etc. I to blew down the tube as hard as i could but got nothing. After a good night sleep and thinking hard i came up with this theory, the mixture wont stop producing co2 no matter what, eventually it has to come out somewhere at the weakest spot. I connected it up and sat back and waited, if you have the mixture right mine took 15-20 mins and then voila.... tiny, diffused bubbles coming out of the fluval diffuser. Surprisingly the pressure isnt too intense in the bottles either. Go on... just give it a go pal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.