The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to build a diy co2 generator with 3 20 oz bottles yeast sugar and water. I've mixed it up and water a day and nothing is happening?? whats going on?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
More information will help. Is this set up now, so it delivers the CO2 to the aquarium? Do you have a bubble counter in the system? Have you checked the whole thing for leaks by using a mix of detergent and water applied generously to every single joint in the system, and waited 5-10 minutes to look for mounds of tiny foamy bubbles which indicate leaks?

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
My recipe.
3 liter bottle 2/3 full, 2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 95 degree water.
Activate 3/4 teaspoon of yeast in separate say 4 to 8 ounces of 95 degree water.
Still until all yeast is mixed up and pour into 3 liter bottle with other ingredients.
Bubbles start in 6 to 12 hours, full strength @ around 24 hours.

Did you activate the yeast with high enough temperature of water?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i re made the mixture. i boiled the water and mixed the yeast separately. everything isthe same except for the 2 liter bottle and the baking soda. i put 1 cup of sugar in each bottle and 1/4 teaspoon in each aswell. i did this before you posted, so should i add baking soda? or will it be fine? thanks a ton guys

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
i re made the mixture. i boiled the water and mixed the yeast separately. everything isthe same except for the 2 liter bottle and the baking soda. i put 1 cup of sugar in each bottle and 1/4 teaspoon in each aswell. i did this before you posted, so should i add baking soda? or will it be fine? thanks a ton guys
Water at boiling point(212) will kill the yeast and not activate it.
90 to 100 degrees will just activate it.

Baking soda acts as a buffer to balance CO2 production over time.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
even if it is just slightly too hot, it will drastically reduce the amount of gas... I like making my bottle in the afternoon, by the next morning it is ready to plug in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.