The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to adding macro and micro fertilisers to DIY CO2 soup?

Has anyone tried adding a little milk to the DIY CO2 soup?

When I used to bake my own bread, I would start the yeast with tepid milk before making the dough. I intend to start my DIY CO2 generator the same way, unless I hear something against it.

I am wondering ……….. if adding a bit of the aquarium plant fertiliser would help the CO2 generation. They do add a lot of N fertilisers to the mushroom substrate. The mushroom substrate is mostly organic plant waste, containing a lot of plant nutrients.

Next comes the question………… at what ph to start the CO2 generator soup? Has anyone played around with these parameters?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but mushrooms are a fungus and yeast is a yeast. and I believe they use urine which is NH4.... Not NO3.. but I dunno.
I know, I know......... and they are growing mushrooms but we are only decomposing sugar.

Then growing yeast, might produce more CO2.

Yes, yes, yes................ the period of production will reduce.

Brain on :angryfire

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Yes, the yeast decomposes sugar to continue on surviving, producing CO2 as a byproduct. What kills the yeast is the increasing alcohol content. Unless you can find a way to constantly remove the alcohol, your DIY mixtures will still last 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have two 32oz bottles that last 16 weeks little yeast last longer and alot of yeast burns faster. i have ideal yeast,sugar, water mixes

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
a little fert might be beneficial... the yeast not only eat sugar but they need nitrogen, calcium et. al.. to reproduce. the new yeast would replace the dead old yeast. But most of the ferts are naturally in your tap water. but a little extra wouldn't hurt.. it might give it a boost.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know and I understand................ We are decomposing sugar to make CO2 and not growing yeast as a product, but then if we do grow the yeast we will have higher CO2 production rate, without having to add more yeast, and the period of production will fall. As to the ph; what is it that stops the production---- alcohol or acid? If it is the acid then buffering the soup appears to allow you to make it richer with sugar and if it is the alcohol we can only put enough sugar which will cause the level of alcohol which kills the production of CO2.

The exercise is to get the maximum production of CO2; I would have no problems if I could afford pressurised CO2 system, but then where I live refills are not available for love or money, even if I do acquire the equipments from elsewhere.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read somewhere about adding multi-vitamin. I've been adding powdered vitamin and I believe it extends the life (though it's hard to tell for sure as I changed recipes at the same time I started with adding the multi-vitamin)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Has anyone tried adding a little milk to the DIY CO2 soup?
The yeast gives a nice bread like smell. I do not know if month old milk would make this better or worse.

For soft water adding sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is advised to buffer the pH.

For stable and steady production, not much beats 2 or more containers alternated.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wine yeast works well
And they say the alcohol produced stops the yeast, so substitute sugar+water with grape juice and obtain lots of dry wine as your fishy-by-product!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeast eats sugar really fast because sugar is a simple sugar.. what if you use more complex sugar like starch or flour?

that'll stretch the life of the diy. The smell might not be so great though.. I've tried making my own yeast for bread. Sometimes it smells good.. and sometimes it's rancid..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i wonder how well that would turn out?:biggrin:
Tried it. Tastes horrible.

Wine yeast is probably the best to use. Similar in price but it is able to withstand higher alcohol contents. Produces quite a bit CO2 as well. We did an experiment in bio class testing different yeast CO2 production. The wine yeasts released it the slowest but lasted the longest.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SNIP
Wine yeast is probably the best to use. Similar in price but it is able to withstand higher alcohol contents. Produces quite a bit CO2 as well. We did an experiment in bio class testing different yeast CO2 production. The wine yeasts released it the slowest but lasted the longest.
1) Any measurement of the volume of CO2 produced?

2) Any specific gravity test of the sugar solution?

Those two would give us the comparative efficiency of the CO2 conversion of the two types of yeast, starting, ofcourse, with equal portions of the common sugar solution. Time cannot be a factor, a little more yeast will hasten the process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts