The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1.5 lt soda bottle 2 cups regular sugar 1 table spoon of yeast connected to a hagen ladder but no bubbles coming out of it the only thing i can think of is that the tubbing maybe to long im kind of confused the first hours it did release some bubbles but it has been a 2 days and no bubbles

·
Registered
197 Posts
i bet theres a leak in that cap around the tubeing

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
There is probably a leak. Check around the cap connection with some soapy water or windex. 1 Tablespoon is alot of yeast as well, I would start out with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon and see how that goes first.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've found that diy co2 can be a little bit finicky. There are a few different situations that come to mind.
1) solution is too cold to produce co2
2) leak in the tubing/ cap
3) yeast is too old or has suffered and is not as alive/ fresh.

remedies for the above situations
1) wrap your co2 bottles with something to insulate them (old t-shirt, blanket or in some situations a heating pad)
2) yoink has already provided the answer to this. Check everywhere for leaks.
3) try adding some fresh yeast, if that fails then start over again.

I hope that helps

·
Registered
786 Posts
usually there's a leak where the tubing goes through the cap of the soda bottle. the best way to make the connection is to drill a hole through the cap that's slightly smaller than the tubing, making sure the hole is nice and smooth. Then use pliers to the tubing through the hole and you should be all set. How to check to see if you have a leak? Either squirt the cap with Windex and check for bubbles, or gently swirl the mixture and sniff near the cap - if you smell the bready yeast mixture, you got a leak.

Here's my recipe for DIY CO2:
1/8 teaspoon Champagne yeast
2 Cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
tepid water
2 liter soda bottle

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If the bottle has been setting still for a while you can put you ear near the top and hear the bubbles coming from the mixture. Sounds like soda....

If you can hear the bubbles then you have a leak. If not then you need to remake your mixture.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i have a 1.5 lt soda bottle 2 cups regular sugar 1 table spoon of yeast connected to a hagen ladder but no bubbles coming out of it the only thing i can think of is that the tubbing maybe to long im kind of confused the first hours it did release some bubbles but it has been a 2 days and no bubbles
It could be that the yeast was mixed with hot water which kills it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try this recipie based on one from AGA.

Clean your jug well.

1/2 cup sugar for every liter of water.

1/4 tsp of fresh yeast. Red wine yeast works great. Forget the baking stuff.

tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

tsp soy flour (for the beasties to eat)

dechlorinate the water. Add to the mix at eight something degrees.

You may indeed have a leak. Use a sharp bit and drill your hole a litle smaller than the tube so you get a good compression fit between the tube and the hole. If the hole is ragged and isn't smoth, you may never get a seal. Pitch the old cap and get a new one. It also looks like you have way too much sugar and yeast. It will never survive and sugar will go unused.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Any yeast will ferment - baking, wine, beer. Wine and beer yeast ferment "cleaner" but since you're not putting the liquid in your tank, that shouldn' matter. Do keep in mind that yeast is a living organism, and if it was too old, it could have been a dead batch. As others said, check the obvious first (leaks) then move on and try some more sugar with a 1/4-half tsp yeast and see if anything happens. I make wine - and I've seen dead yeast before-it does happen. of course when that's the case, you don't need to start over. you could just add some fresh yeast to the container and re-seal it. And as someone else said- use lukewarm water-NO HOT WATER! Too hot or WAY too cold will kill the yeast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts