The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay i'm gonna use a diy C02 setup in a ADA Cube Garden 45-P with cherry shrimp, my question is, do I need a drop checker to measure DIY C02 levels? I'm thinking maybe it's not needed due to DIY C02 not producing enough CO2 to lethal levels right?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
well, you dont really need one, but it is possable to gas your critters, i have from lack of surface agitation, but it took a long time. but its not really needed, just pay atention to your fish and if they start acting strange or gasping at the surface just increase surface agitation a bit. its prety uncommon for someone to gas there fish with diy co2

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd say it's quite possible to overdo it. Depending on how large of a reactor you have, and how efficiently your tank is set up to absorb and retain that CO2, you could very well gas the shrimp. You'll never really know if you have enough or too much CO2 without one. I've gotten very unhealthy levels of CO2 in 10g and 5g tanks with DIY, never killed anything, but def. had some loopy fish. I'd have some sort of plan for the evenings too when the plants quit using it up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
james1542 said:
I'd have some sort of plan for the evenings too when the plants quit using it up.
yeah I was puzzled by that too, what do people do with DIY C02 at night? add an extra air pump with an air stone maybe?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can either have a needle valve on the bottle and close it at night or just let it run and use an airstone. That said, I do neither and have absolutely no problems with DIY CO2, even on a 2.5 gallon with the CO2 diffused through a canister. It's tough to gas shrimp with DIY CO2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.