The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never heard of caramel brown sugar, I understood that brown sugar was sugar with molasses still in it. :shrug:

Anyway, if it does matter, you could always get some molasses and mix it with white sugar, more effort and roundabout, but same stuff. :smile:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't think there'd be any point mixing lightly cooked white sugar (demerara) with uncooked white sugar.

If you want to approximate brown sugar you'll need to add molasses to white sugar.

white sugar + molasses = brown sugar

white sugar + heat = demerara sugar (which happens to be brown in color)

I've never done DIY yeast, but if you're trying to follow a recipe that calls for brown sugar and can't find it, you could follow these instructions to make it out of white sugar and molasses.

Cooking (or caramelizing) white sugar will make sugar brown in color, but it won't make brown sugar. To do that you need molasses, not heat.

·
Registered
471 Posts
From that link:
To make demerara sugar, sugar producers press sugar cane and steam the juice of the first pressing to form thick cane syrup. The cane syrup is allowed to dehydrate, leaving behind large golden brown crystals of sugar.
and from that one:
Natural brown sugar [demerara] is brown sugar made by partially refining sugar cane extract, whereas most brown sugar is made by adding molasses to fully refined sugar.

(emphasis added)
See the difference?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The same stuff is sold in the US under the name Sugar in the Raw, if I'm not mistaken. It's just sugar, it will work fine. Are you trying a recipe that calls for brown sugar specifically?

Most people here use white sugar, baker's yeast, and a bit of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as a buffer. If that is the type of recipe you're trying to do, just use whichever is cheaper, white sugar or demerara sugar, the yeast will process it in much the same way and without much (any?) additional waste.

ETA: Apparently demerara and turbinado (the Sugar in the Raw that I mentioned) are only very slightly different, taken out of refinement at slightly different points so that they crystallize differently. As long as you get the large grains fully dissolved it shouldn't matter which type you use.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks guys. in wiki its written that demerara sugar is sugar thats not refined so i guess ti should work lets see. my white sugar diy is on since 2 days but nothing has yet come out. waiting for 1 more day then will try with this.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ok thanks guys. in wiki its written taht semerara sugar is sugar thats not refined so i guess ti should work lets see. my white sugar diy is on since 2 days but nothing has yet come out. waiting for 1 more day then will try with this.
I guess bad yeast or a leak, not the sugar. There is no point in using more expensive sugars.

Check for leaks. Also, hydrating the yeast when the water is too hot is a common problem. It kills the yeast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.