The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
i was wondering if any one would know roughly how long 2 1L soda bottles (diet md to be specific) would last with alittle over .5 cup of sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of yeast, and the water filled to where the bottle starts to curve in?

B
I use to use 3 cups of sugar to 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and it usually lasted me about 12 days giving off 2 bubbles per second. I finally went to pressurized co2 because i had way to many tanks.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
One thing many people overlook. Bread yeast doesn't die or go dormant from lack of sugar. It dies because it has a low tolerance to alcohol. If you use a more alcohol tolerant yeast it goes dormant from lack of sugar. In fact with the right yeast you rarely have to add new yeast. You just use the yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottle for the new yeast.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a little background info, the bottles that quit were on the tank since about midday last sunday. yesterday i noticed that the co2 production had greatly decreased (before it was flowing like wild), when i swirled the bottles it came back to almost normal for about a min then returned to doing almost nothing.

also i have a discard a stone on the c02 line that goes in the tank, and im not sure how to count the bpm as there is just allot of really small bubbles coming out.

it sounds like im not using enough sugar, like i said a little over a 1/2 cup in a 1L bottle with 1/8 tsp of yeast.

so what do you attribute the soup crapping out on me to? did the yeast run out of sugar? or was the yeast killed from alcohol?

B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.