The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 20g tall tank with pretty simple plants. But I want to do it low-tech due to my $142 budget. The plants I would like to use so far are Java Moss (or other moss), Java Ferns, Dwarf Hairgrass, and possibly some rotalla sp. not sure what plants I want for the background but it seems the best ones need some CO2. So my question is should I setup a DIY CO2? If so, how would I go about making one?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
142 thats a good amount of money, dependin on what kind of light ur plannin to have. diy c02 is easy get a coke bottle, get the cap
drill a hole in it, with a AWL, or knife

stick a airtube into it silicon it let it dry and cap the it on the bottom and attach it to a diffusor and ur mixture

·
Registered
517 Posts
i just drilled a small hole and forced the tubing in, air tight and loving the instant usage. i was testing the "system" and water blew in my face... no clue why, but yeah i put a check valve on after that yucky experience, so i recommend one to you too. and also have a diy bubble counter, sometimes when you shake the bottle, the mixture gets sucked into the tubing and goes right on through and into the bubble counter instead of the tank.

when you find a mixture that lasts 2 weeks strong, let me know :) mine only lasts for about a week then craps out to like 1 bubble every 5 seconds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i just started a 30 gallon tall tank about ten days ago, i'm using DIY Co2 and so far its doing well. I'm using a hawaiian punch gallon sized jug and its been burbling away for the whole time, i've got another one i'll add yeast to in the morning before work to liet it get warmed up.

I'm not sure how long mine would last but since its cheap and easy i'll probably just reset every ten days or so.

When i loaded up my new to me 120 the other day i found in the debris he threw in enough stuff to make a little DIY reactor out of an old hydro vac a really small pump and an old sponge. I even found some suction cups that i used zip ties to mount on the vac. Its holding the Co2 bubbles long enough so only micro bubbles escape into the main tank it seems to have done the trick to keep my levels up.

downside its ugly as heck but since i've got the intake for my canister covered with a massive sponge and the return hasnt been painted yet its not really that bad lol. I just stuck four big broadleaf sag to hide the mess somewhat.

If I recall correctly the drill that was mentioned in another thread 11/64th for drilling holes for air line worked great got me a nice air tight seal on my jugs even under the slight working preasure from the check valve.

Good luck with the tank your budget is bigger than mine after buying the other tank but i did already have the tank and my god awful light assembly.

Jason

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just started a 30 gallon tall tank about ten days ago, i'm using DIY Co2 and so far its doing well. I'm using a hawaiian punch gallon sized jug and its been burbling away for the whole time, i've got another one i'll add yeast to in the morning before work to liet it get warmed up.

I'm not sure how long mine would last but since its cheap and easy i'll probably just reset every ten days or so.

When i loaded up my new to me 120 the other day i found in the debris he threw in enough stuff to make a little DIY reactor out of an old hydro vac a really small pump and an old sponge. I even found some suction cups that i used zip ties to mount on the vac. Its holding the Co2 bubbles long enough so only micro bubbles escape into the main tank it seems to have done the trick to keep my levels up.

downside its ugly as heck but since i've got the intake for my canister covered with a massive sponge and the return hasnt been painted yet its not really that bad lol. I just stuck four big broadleaf sag to hide the mess somewhat.

If I recall correctly the drill that was mentioned in another thread 11/64th for drilling holes for air line worked great got me a nice air tight seal on my jugs even under the slight working preasure from the check valve.

Good luck with the tank your budget is bigger than mine after buying the other tank but i did already have the tank and my god awful light assembly.

Jason
Sounds nice. My Dad was a Chemist back in Argentina (where I was born) and he likes Chemistry a lot, so maybe I can have him help me with this. Well, I don't really need help but just in case :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts