The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry that I am at it again. DIY CO2 produces 24 hours and we waste more than half the CO2, not saying the least adds our mite to the global warming.

As I intend to use CO2, and I am forced to use DIY/CO2, I am investigating the possibility of storage of the DIY/CO2 during the dark period of the aquarium. As a result I had earlier suggested adding a reservoir parallel to the supply line re: Diy----- Co2-----with Reservoir?

I have taken note of all the objections, added few of my own, rethought my approach, and come up with a NEW PLAN:-

DIY/CO2 generation side remains unchanged. The supply of DIY/CO2 goes not to the aquarium but to a sealed tank filled with water. The sealed tank has two pipes attached to it, one at the top and the other at the bottom. The pipe at the top receives water from a power head of a sponge filter and the bottom pipe returns the water to the aquarium. The volume of the sealed tank is equal to half the maximum volume of the DIY/CO2 I would wish to add to the aquarium. The power head of the sponge filter to be started with my light timers.

An improvement, the water from the power head is forced through sprayer nozzles attached to the inside of the sealed tank.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it right! How simple can it be!
A slotted 1/2" pipe at the bottom of 20L plastic can (the Sealed Tank) under 4'' thick sponge. The slotted pipe connected to the venturi of the power-head of the sponge filter in the aquarium with a 6mm PVC pipe. The top pipe connected to the aquarium with a no-return air-line valve to retain the DIY/CO2 in the sealed tank. The power-head wired with my aquarium lights. 4 staggered 5L plastic cans of DIY/CO2 connected in series to the sealed tank.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
run tubing from your bottle to a manifold,
from your manifold to your diffuser/reactor,
and another line of tubing to a balloon.
over night shut the flow of gas to the diffuser.
and open the valve to the balloon
allowing it to inflate overnight.
leave everything wide open allowing both the
bottle and balloon to feed Co2 into the diffuser.
by days end the balloon will deflate and be
ready to refill for the next overnight once
you shut the diffuser side of the manifold again.
perhaps like an electric solenoid valve, you could
find some sort of electric manifold valve that
could be put on a timer, to close automatically.
of course, this is all ridiculous as DIY Co2
does not consistantly produce enough Co2
to be worth any of this trouble.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can we get some Pics I am trying to picture the setup you have.

Thanks

MAHA
Yeah I would like to see pics as well.

I was thinking of adding a heat pad to my DIY Co2 bottle and connect the heat pad to a timer so that it's only on during the day. But this will not solve the co2 from getting into the tank during the night, just slow it down a bit I guess. Maybe I could add some type of chiller to it and slow it down during the night as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.