The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through most of the post and don't see any regarding mechanical filtration using carbon....

I currently have an Eclipse aquarium which has the mechanical carbon filter and biowheel inside the hood. I'm looking into just using something like the cut-to-fit filter pad and buy carbon to add - I'm not sure but think in the long run it would be cheaper.

Do any of you know if it would be better to use the filter bags as opposed to the filter pads? Also, maybe filter floss of which I have never used although I think that would get clogged too easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I have 3 goldfish and its'a 40 gallon tall tank - there is a carbon filter which flows into a biowheel. I was curious about filter floss but wasn't exactly sure why it was used.

Could I just put filter floss where I now put the carbon filter?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Actually I have 3 goldfish and its'a 40 gallon tall tank - there is a carbon filter which flows into a biowheel. I was curious about filter floss but wasn't exactly sure why it was used.

Could I just put filter floss where I now put the carbon filter?
im using some polyester pillow fluff from walmart for a cheap filter floss works great, my 10g hob is stuffed with it and very clear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I read some other posts that others had used that but to be sure it didn't have chemicals in it. I have some polyster batting that I bought to use on a cat perch. I'll check it when I get home to see if it's okay to use...I ordered some activated carbon and a media bag yesterday. I'm going to try it and see if it works...just trying to get something cheaper than the Eclipse cartridges which run anywhere from $10-$12 for three!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.