1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as my name implies i am a newbie to the salt water
scene. I would like to build my own canister filter as a
project because i want to do things to my tank myself,but
i am not sure of what kind of pump to use. anybody ever done this? i'm sure some of you pro's have .any help would be greatly appriciated:icon_mrgr by the way my tank is a 55 gal but I would like to build this large enough for a 120 gal tank for future growth :bounce:

·
Registered
132 Posts
lol Interesting choice to post on a Freshwater Aquatic Plant forum :cool:

Than again there are some people here who do some crazy DIY projects so welcome! :icon_mrgr

As for DIY canisters try searching the forum and you will see the general consensus is save yourself the time/money/headache and purchase a good high quality canister from a reputable manufacturer. although if you want to build something yourself a trickle filter or wet dry might be right up your alley and i think both are commonly used on salt water tanks... Check around there is some good info on sumps in the DIY forum which might be useful

I could be wrong though so don't quote me on that :)

you also might want to check out Reef Central Online Community there is some great info there :)

:icon_cool

and of course if you decide to take on this project be sure to post pictures :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would like to build my own canister filter
This topic comes up pretty regularly.....

you will see the general consensus is save yourself the time/money/headache and purchase a good high quality canister from a reputable manufacturer.
That's absolutely right. Buy the time You invest in everything--You'll save little to no money--unless its a Small DIY canister for a nano. And You'll wind up with an inferior product. There are links available, so:

As for DIY canisters try searching the forum
Its really just not a Good idea considering the Quality of available products and their relatively low cost....

HTH

·
Banned
582 Posts
It's not recommended to run a canister filter on a SW tank.

canister filter + SW aquarium = NITRATES!!!!!

Nitrates + SW aquarium + SW fish + SW inverts = Poisoned SW fish & SW inverts

My math maybe off due to OTC meds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.