The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set it up late saturday night. One getting a bubble about every 12-15 seconds. I used 2 cups water,2 cups of sugar,1/4 teaspon yeast and mixed it with 1/4 cup warm water to get it going. I am using the active dry yeasy. When I opened it,it still had a vacumn seal on it. What can the problem be? The co2 line is almost at the bottom of the aquarium which makes it almost even with the 2 liter bottle outside of the tank. Does the pressure of the water affect the rate at which the co2 comes out? Do I need to start over with a new batch?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You must have a very small bottle for the DIY CO2 generator. Two cups of water is a pint, about a half liter. Typically you use 2 cups of sugar in a 2 liter bottle. I suspect you are getting about all the CO2 you can from that small bottle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A good recipe for a 2 litre bottle is two cups sugar, 1/2tsp yeast, and a 1/4tsp soda (optional), and to the top rim of the bottle (before it starts to curve) with luke warm water. Shake it every few days or so.

I get much more co2 than a 4 or 5 bubble a minute in mine, lasting about 3 weeks.

I would deffinately use a little more yeast (not too much though), and more water for sure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's rocking now after I filled the bottle three quarters full and added a half teaspoon yeast instead a quarter teaspoon.. I am getting a bubble almost every second!!!!????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.