The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 54 gallon corner aquarium. I have set up 3 two liter bottles for Diy c02. It's creating lots of bubbles and I have it releasing directly into the return pump in my sump. It's creating a spray of fine bubbles throughout the entire tank.

Is this correct? I don't really like the look of it. Should it be diffused so much that you can't see the bubbles?

I tried a air stone but it seemed to hinder the flow of bubbles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes it is normal. Your return pump is chopping the bubbles up into micro bubbles. If you don't like the look, look into something like a cerges reactor or putting the co2 somewhere else in your sump instead of directly into the return.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is normal. Your return pump is chopping the bubbles up into micro bubbles. If you don't like the look, look into something like a cerges reactor or putting the co2 somewhere else in your sump instead of directly into the return.

Am I getting a good absorption into the water with micro bubbles? Or would it be better to diffuse it further?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Am I getting a good absorption into the water with micro bubbles? Or would it be better to diffuse it further?
Yes and no. You are losing a lot of the co2 when the bubbles rise to the surface compared to near 100% diffusion. However, there is a theory claimed by more experienced people than I that the micro bubbles get trapped on leaves and that causes better absorption by the plants. So your co2 level in the water will be lower but the amount of co2 the plants get is still pretty good if not better.

I think in the end it probably evens out well enough and is mostly an aesthetic preference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts