The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well I jsut made an auto doser from a digitial timer, some hose, check valve, 3 liter soda bottle, aqualifter pump. I am sure you can guess how it works. anyone dislike this idea? I mean i already did it but still.
Sounds pretty much like my setup, only I set the aqualifter pumps on top of my sumptanks lid so no check valves are necessary, and I used 1 gallon milk jugs for larger reservoir that are placed beside the sump tank. Mine has been working great for several months.

One thing I've noticed having 2 pumps plugged into the same timer is that one pumps slightly faster than the other, so to compensate I just diluted the mix for the faster one with a little more water.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How difficult was it to callibrate the amount of time it needed to run?
Not difficult, just filled it with water and timed how long it took to drain to get a ball park figure. The timer I used could only be set in minute increments, so I chose 2 minutes because I could get 15 doses out of a jug. Although I suppose I could have choosen 1 minute per day and just doubled the concentration of the mix to have it last longer. Just mix 15 daily doses of ferts with a jug of water. Do the test with it in place as it will be used since changes in height will change the flow rate. Recalibrate anytime you change it's height.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sounds basically what I am going to do, got 5 aqualifters sitting next to me now. I'll have two running on two tanks (for micros and macros) and one spare. I assume its a good idea to dose the micro/macros separate? Seems like I've read problems with doing them at the same time. Also, as I have never made liquid solution for ferts before (I dose dry) is there any limit as to the concentration? My larger one will be dosing a 240G based on EI levels and I'd like to be able to store enough for 2 weeks anyhow. Assuming I'll be running 1 or 2 minute pump times what does that equate out to for container size for a recomended concentration? And my last question would be is there any need to stir up the solution or does it stay in a solution fine? For example I was thinking about putting a powerhead in the solution container that would run once in a while to keep it stirred up, unnecessary?

Don't mean to hijack, just that I'll be setting up autodosing soon and I was soon going to ask questions but seems like now is a good time.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno.. I just got the amount i needed.. saw how much water the pump pumps.. and divided it up. and added the table spoons of stuff accordingly. I have easy plants so i think they will be forgiving. The pumps seem to be straining to get it up there though, by the time it pulls it up it is a drip haha. I might connect another one to the line to see how she does with a booster.

the check valve is to let air into the soda bottles with out releasing air. It would be bad to make a vacuum, then it would not work at all haha.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Have any of you guys run these in parallel to get more height? I just read they pump about 30 inches. The flow rate probably goes way down the greater the elevation, right?

The reason I'm asking is my little Aquarium Systems 606 pump doesn't have enough push to put my dosing setup below the tank. So I have to keep it on a table beside the tank at substrate level. But I'm wondering if I might use one of these midway so I could keep the main fert container in the stand, but augment its flow with one of these midway. I'm using regular silicon airline.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Rather than the container sitting on the floor of the stand, can you raise it up a bit to reduce the head? I use 2 hooks screwed to the side of stand where I hang the container. It is just 2ft or even less difference, but enough for the pump to work well. See my 36gal journal for pictures.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Not sure, all my equipment still unopened in the box. But thats another advantage of using a sump, you can keep all that in the stand and no need to pump up into the tank. Maybe those peristaltic pumps, although a lot more pricey, would pump a higher head.

CBBP - yeah thats what I figured I'd do (just measure how much it pumps per minute, multiply that by how many days, and pick container and dry fert dosage accordingly). Just wasnt sure if there was a limit as to the concentration and if a powerhead might be needed to keep it stirred up (first time messing with auto dosing).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rather than the container sitting on the floor of the stand, can you raise it up a bit to reduce the head? I use 2 hooks screwed to the side of stand where I hang the container. It is just 2ft or even less difference, but enough for the pump to work well. See my 36gal journal for pictures.
Thanks Wasserpest. Now its a 24" tall tank. I tried it about 10" above the stand base and it just didn't have enough head. For now, the table next to the stand will have to do. Sometime I might try to hang a shelf near the stand's top. The only problem is there really isn't much room anyhow - with an XP3 and the autowater change solenoids up there at present, not to mention an Eheim hobby pump.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you considered hanging it on the back of the tank? One of the setups I tried used a bottle from a Kent Aqua-Doser 1400ml hanging from a hook I made from a clothes hanger wire. It didn't take up much space behind the tank only about 3 inches. This way you could hang it at any height you want and control and reduce the flow rate as needed by adjusting the height by using a longer or shorter hook.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_dosing_pumps_top_off_kent_marine_aquadose.asp?CartId=

I just made sure that the wire did not extend below the water level, although I would imagine over time the hook would eventually rust and need to be replaced, but its cheap and easy to come by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.