The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do they make all in one bottle ferts with both macro and micro nutrients without them interacting and causing precipitation?

Can I make all in one bottle ferts at home, and how?

I'm trying to do PPM. Dosage of 1-2x a week. Each pump is 2mL and my bottles are 500mL. I have the desktop calculator, I can't recall the name of off hand. I can post my amounts if it helps?

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can make all in one macro fertilizer, and a separate all in one micro fertilizer mix.
The chelated compounds in Micro fertilizers will decompose and precipitate in light. So they need to be kept in dark colored bottles and dosed after lights off.

For macro nutrients they will not react with each other and are not affected by light so can be dosed any time.

The third problem is that the macro nutrients will dissolve only to a certain extent in water. So you cannot have a concentrated solution.
After dissolving certain quantity of the macro fertilizer the water gets saturated and will not dissolve more of it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can make all in one macro fertilizer, and a separate all in one micro fertilizer mix.
The chelated compounds in Micro fertilizers will decompose and precipitate in light. So they need to be kept in dark colored bottles and dosed after lights off.

For macro nutrients they will not react with each other and are not affected by light so can be dosed any time.

The third problem is that the macro nutrients will dissolve only to a certain extent in water. So you cannot have a concentrated solution.
After dissolving certain quantity of the macro fertilizer the water gets saturated and will not dissolve more of it.
can't remember where i read it (i think dennis wong's site), but if the pH of your dosing solution is < 6.0, the iron and phosphorus won't precipitate out. can add vinegar to lower pH and prevent mold from growing.

as for micros being dosed only during lights out, i have never heard of this before. and the amount of macros we are trying to dilute is nowhere near saturation (save for maybe K). just sayin.:icon_wink

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.