The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to make myself an acrylic tank for some time now, not because I'm cheap, but I like the experience of doing a project. I built the stands for a couple of my tanks, I thoroughly enjoy the process and progress that is made when doing things like this.

So I jump on ebay to check prices of some acrylic sheet scraps, I found a while ago that lots of companies post up their scrap pieces for sale in bundles like 5 sheets of 1/4" @ 12"x12" for a reasonable price. And you could build a rimless 12" cube tank quite easily. But then you start looking for pieces just a bit larger and the price sky rockets! :angryfire

Man... its cheaper to buy premade tanks! Whatever happened to the days when DIY was cheaper?!

Ok I feel better now

·
Registered
674 Posts
find an acrylic place by you, they usually let you take the scrap for free than having ot pay someone to dispose/transport it

·
Registered
444 Posts
find an acrylic place by you, they usually let you take the scrap for free than having ot pay someone to dispose/transport it
I think his problem is finding scrap pieces large enough. I'd imagine he will have a very hard time doing this because any company worth their salt in the business world simply will not have large pieces left laying around. If it's larger than 12"x12" it's simply not scrap.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty much correct thirston. ebay has chunks from places that are usually 12"x48", 12x24, 12x36 but finding anything larger than 12 by whatever is where it gets expensive. I should just start building 12" cubes and sell them so I can buy actual full sheets for my own purposes. hmm...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Correct! Last summer I was at a local glass shop to find a replacement top for a coffee table and noticed that they had scrap acrylic sheets laying around. I asked how much do they charge for scrap, and the gentleman told me to take what I need at no charge. I came home with enough scrap to make a 30" tank. It's still in my garage in hopes that I'll get to it this summer. Check with the local shops first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts