The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to take the plunge and set up a nano. I had some .250 acrylic left over from a job. ( I'm a cabinet maker, I used it for some doors) so I cut it up on the table saw, cleaned up the edges on the jointer, made a quick jig and glued everything up with some weld-on 3. I decided to make two tanks. a 4 gallon 10x10x8 and a 7 gallon 12" cube the whole process took about 3 hours.

I'm going to head over to the lfs and get some rocks and substrate and see what I come up with. I have some Ricca and a nice big anubias nana but I'm not sure what else to put in just yet.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Eek, Weld-on 3? I'm not very familiar with it, but isn't that stuff REALLY toxic? You might want to try out some feeder fish in that tank before you move anything pricey in.

I hope it all works out. Props to you and your DIY spirit! :) The seams look really nice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eek, Weld-on 3? I'm not very familiar with it, but isn't that stuff REALLY toxic? You might want to try out some feeder fish in that tank before you move anything pricey in.

I hope it all works out. Props to you and your DIY spirit! :) The seams look really nice.
I wouldn't drink it, but thats what people have been using to make acrylic tanks for years. It's a solvent that melts the acrylic together and then evaporates. its quite safe

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yea, and the seams are barely noticable with it.
have fun with the layout!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Great DIY tank man ;) I like the simple like look hehehe. How about some water plants and fish? J.K Have you considered shrimp btw?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up some black sand and some cliff rock from old town aquarium, then I mixed up laterite with some gravel from my other tank. and put a layer on the bottom. I'm not loving it right now and I'm not sure what else to put in there. I'm going to try and make more ricca stones and get a little carpet going. I did one and it turned out ok but it needs more ricca on it.

also, I anyone is interested in a small tank I may be willing to build some. I have to buy the acrylic in full sheets so I would need to sell at least 5 to break even on labor and materials and I wouldn't make them more than 7 or 8 gallons.and they would be around $30 or $40 shipped. pm me if interested.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nice, it looks great man, keep up the good work. I like that large rock in the back ;) Is that entire substrate laterite?

·
Registered
514 Posts
i can never go to old town aquarium, i've tried twice now and first i spent almost an hour looking for parking then when i was done, they were closed. second time i went, they weren't even open that day...bummmer

nice tank, it looks peaceful

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, it looks great man, keep up the good work. I like that large rock in the back ;) Is that entire substrate laterite?
thanks, the substrate is black sand the laterite is mixed in underneath

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd skip the anubias-- it's a bit out of place.
I agree, I'm still waiting for some inspiration.

the light is a $10 ikea lamp with a 27 watt 5500k spiral bulb from home depot. looks great but is too bright and is getting to hot for the lamp. I'm going to replace it with the 19 watt version.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i can never go to old town aquarium, i've tried twice now and first i spent almost an hour looking for parking then when i was done, they were closed. second time i went, they weren't even open that day...bummmer
If you park at the Pipers Alley garage, and spend $20 at Old Town Aquarium, they'll validate your parking for 1 hour. That means free parking if you're in and out in less than 1 hour (if you go over, it's $8-9, something like that).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
finally an update

I finally got around to rescaping, this is what I have so far

flora : Ricca fluitans, Rotala rotundifolia, Echinodorus tenellus and Hemianthus callitrichoides
Fauna: 3 white clouds and two RCS

the white clouds seen a little aggressive towards the shrimp has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey looking nice. your Riccia looks "happy".

Funny thing is, I used to work almost across from Old Town aquarium. Never went in. Heard it was super expensive/saltwater.

Do they sell that sand in small quantities? What other sort pf rock do they sell. Did you get your plants locally? Do they have fresh water plants/creatures there?

Sorry to jump on your thread like that. I really like your cube, and i think it is great for a home made. I been thinking about making an 8 gallon cube.

I really love how the colour/texture of your riccia contrasts with your rock. Hoping your shrimp make it!

You try parking on LaSalle/Clark or by the school? that is where I usually parked with i worked in that neighborhood and drive (nearby red/brown lines, Clark Bus)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do they sell that sand in small quantities? What other sort pf rock do they sell. Did you get your plants locally? Do they have fresh water plants/creatures there?

they have an amazing selection of sand, gravel, and rocks and everything is bulk sold buy the pound, and they have some really nice driftwood as well. they also have a large selection of very healthy and happy freshwater fish and plants, the plants are way over priced compared to online but the size and quality is very nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts