The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured if I'm going to upgrade my lighting I want to get the most ideal light to be able to grow whatever I want. And since I don't want to spend a lot of money to get a high light fixture, I'm thinking of ordering the AHsupply 1x36watt bright kit, and designing my own wooden enclosure for it. I have no problem with building my own enclosure and expect to have some fun with it in the process, but would even this be enough light? too much light?

For those who have had experience with these kits are they fairly easy to install? Do they come with all the proper components and wiring instructions? I'm trying to make the most expensive part of this project to be the bright kit itself.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Everything you need for the light will be in the kit. Ballast, reflector, power cord, cord from ballast to light, cable clamps, grommets, wire nuts, extra wire, bulb clips, and screws. If I've missed anything, count on them not missing it.

A 36 watt PC lamp, is in my opinion, plenty and perhaps too much, for a ten gallon tank. If you can afford it, order a spare bulb or three. They cost a lot more later due to packaging and shipping.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You will do best to have that 36 watt light hanging above the tank, not sitting on the top. That way you can adjust the light intensity by raising or lowering it. It is definitely enough light for a 10 gallon tank, and very likely needs to be at least 6 inches above the top of the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts