The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to divide a tank into three sections. I'm using acrylic that I cut to fit the tank. And I drilled holes do water can circulate and I won't have to use a heater for each section. My question is because it's acrylic it's see through like glass will the bettas being able to see eachother be a problem?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
some times yes some times no. just depends on the betta. ive done this a couple times with plastic canvas and its worked out ok. if some get more aggressive and are always flared put some plants next to the divider so they cant see each other

·
Registered
182 Posts
From my experience of doing the same thing, they will eventually get over glaring at one another. I had lots of plants against the walls of the dividers to help make visual contact less constant, but they still found each other to look at at. You would not need a filter in every compartment, but make sure the flow is enough to get some movement from the other compartments. I had a filter on the two outside compartments with the heater in the middle. Personally I will not divide a tank for a betta again because I feel it increases the chance that they become tail-biters. Two of the three fish became excessive tail-biters. Also if one gets sick, they all get sick.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's a tail biter? Is there anything I can use that would totally block them from seeing eachother, yet still allow for water circulation?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used the plastic canvas, too. Just cut it to size and put one of those plastic report binder spines on each edge. Some people glue it to the glass, but I got mine to fit snug enough side to side and top to bottom under the lip of the tank that it didn't move. They can't see each other very well through the canvas, but because of the holes, the water can circulate and I only used one filter.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
you will want some sort of filtration for each section. i ran into a lot of issues when i did a similar thing because only one side was getting flow.

also mine never got used to being near each other. if you have your heart set on the acrlyic you could scuff it up, or spray paint it so that it is no longer see through.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts