The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've become bored with raising my RCS. They were all I wanted for a while. Since they've multiplied by the hundreds, I've become bored with my rcs tank and my wife and I are gonna finally add fish to it.

I was gonna put them all in my discus tank and hoped some made it, but between them and my loaches, I'm sure they won't.

Would love to sell to you guys but I'm in South Arkansas and don't have the knowledge to ship and not lose them. Anyone locally be interested?

Any other ideas? I have probably 200 or a little less of them now.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Put up a for sale thread in your state's sub forum
Arkansas - The Planted Tank Forum
Offer pick up and give zip or city, or range you're willing to travel (example: Will drive up to 30 minutes outside of [city name]).
Or you can look at shipping but you'd need a water tight bag, good rubber bands, ideally Styrofoam insulation, and a cool pack if needed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How much do people usually sell these for? Around my lfs they're nearly $5/piece!
Hi there! I am another interested individual if you decide to ship. The price per shrimp highly depends on the color grade of them with more red being more expensive. I usually see the best grade of RCS (Painted Fire Red) sell for $5.00 each and then subtract a dollar for each grade lower. Here is an article to help you with nice pictures:

What grade is my red cherry shrimp

Please let me know if you end up selling! I always prefer to buy from a private hobbyist and they will have a great home with me!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
My LFS sells shrimp for $5, regardless of coloration. (sakura grade) One about 30 minutes away (and one I wouldn't trust) sells them for $2 each. A local breeder has them for $1 each. (again, regardless of grade, but usually just low grade cherries to mid grade sakura)

If I want the reddest colored shrimp, I go to Petco where they are $4 each. Usually high grade sakura/low grade fires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm gonna try to sell them locally for $1.50/piece. We'll see how it goes
Good luck! If you have a local aquarium club (any major area will likely have one), you could try going to one of their meetings and selling them. Otherwise Craiglist is another potential option though it is a hit and miss.

Depending on how friendly your local LFS are or your local major chain (Petco, Petsmart) you could try giving it to one of them but at least from Petco or Petsmart, the best you would get would be store credit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For shipping do you guys just put them in (don't need a heat pack now with it being summer) and ship priority mail?

I'm nervous to sell them and then they end up dead at a buyers house. I'm willing but just want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also I'm usually only available to ship on Friday due to work.

I could get someone to ship during the week but would have to bag the shrimp the night before. How long can they last in these breather bags and in the box? I'm thinking of getting in to shipping these and baby BN plecos

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Considering it's summer, they may need cooling packs, but don't take my word for it!

Packed right, they can last at least a few days, although I believe many people ship 2-3 days. Whatever priority mail costs around $9 to do in a flat rate box?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.