The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if anyone has kept one of these big fellers before. I am just researching what I want to stock in my clown tank and would like atleast 1 big species, be it a sole specimen or a group. I have heard they may eat plants though, if anyone can back up that claim I will skip over them. Of course many say that clowns will tear up plants and so far other than a bite mark here or there have not had any problems.

I am after a few more large fish to take advantage of the fact I have a 8 foot 240g... so far I plan on having 6-12 clown loaches in there and thats it for big fish. I was also thinking perhaps bala sharks, and although I really do like them my wife says there not 'colorful'. Oh, and whatever I get I'd want it to be a mid/top-level fish since the clowns and other loaches will have the bottom level taken care of.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info spypet. Unfortunatly there wasnt many bigger fish mentioned in any of those threads, other than one mention of balas which I am already considering. As for the roselines, I was actually looking up info on them probably at the same time you were responding. I do really like them after seing them here locally, problem being is they are $30 or more per each fish, just seems pricey to me. And it seems they prefer coolwater as they are from faster flowing rivers - most species info I find on them says 70-77, and my tank would probably be in the 78-79 range. So I am just not sure if I could provide them with ideal conditions, and at about $200 for a group of 6, I am not sure if I'd chance it.

One of the others I am considering are pearl gouramis, but they only get to 4" so I dont consider them a large fish, and might do them even if I chose another larger fish/school of something else.

About the original fish, in the title, after more research it seems they get even bigger than I thought, and have been known to be aggressive and able to eat small fish once they get real big so I''ll probably skip over them. Plus I guess they loose thier pretty color once they get large.

I know this is titled 'Distichodus sexfasciatus' but still looking for opinions for any top/mid level larger fish (6"-12" ideally), schooling or individuals, just something that looks nice and not aggressive.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Puntius filamentosis. Had I room I would have them. Two I have seen at a local LFS are stunning. No pictures on the web do them justice.

But here are something close to looking as beautiful that I found on the web:

Puntius filamentosus

This has more info, seems like they are plant eaters:

Welcome To Maidenhead Aquatics

I think they are hard to find though. Denison's are all the rage now, and expensive it seems as such.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You could keep several Leporinus comfortably in that size tank. They do grow to a decent size, and aren't too aggressive. Another option would be a clown knife or an arrowana. Neither are aggressive fish, but they are predatory critters...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actualy thought of a Leo before I posted... but after research it seems they become more agressive as they age. I havent researched them on the fourms but the number of problems noted here under 'your comments' was enough for me not to take the chance. I guess I should also mention that I will also have some large schools of smaller fish, like say 20 cardinals or rummynose tetras. I do realize that my ideal fish specs are very restrictive and I am thinking there arent any that meet all the criteria. Like Ghost Knife, well they arent really out and about that much I hear, I am mainly looking for a mid/upper level fish. An aro would be cool, but my wife dislikes them greatly and says they have no color (and besides they will likely eat smaller tankmates). Dang: those barbs look interesting but I am guessing I might have a hard time buying them localy, not that I would be opposed to buying fish online, just havent done that before and shipping is usually pricey. I am alaways nervous though with fish that have a special warning for the high oxygen demands since the tank will have co2 injection. I am not sure with the larger tank how hard it will be to maintain high oxygen levels and if I will need to do anything special other than daytime pearling and nightime agitation.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Yea, I don't know about the O2 demands. I had read about it, but am not sure how CO2 infusion affects the O2 level in the tank. I wonder if the O2 is higher with all that injected CO2 being converted and all the pearling. With my set up (pH controlled) there is little CO2 infusion at night. Perhaps one for another thread, but why wouldn't therefore the general O2 level be higher than in a standard tank?

Anyway, the fellow at the Rutland store said he had 4 of them, but over the years 2 jumped out and now he has just 2 left in a planted tank. I've not seen them else where. He says they are mellow, though they swim somewhat actively. They are big, ~6" to tip of tail. Incredible green iridescence on their sides, a red and black marking in the top and bottom of the caudal fin, and red striations in an elongated dorsal fin. They seem to have some personality. I'm smitten by them, but no room in my tanks, and I've never seen them for sale even though they've apparently been in the hobby for a century and a half!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts