The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dissolving CO2 with a canister filter.

3941 4
Hello,

I just recently upgraded my planted tank to a 60 gallon. As part of the upgrade, I decided to ditch my paintball cylinder and get a 5lb tank for the CO2. I have been reading a lot online about people using their canister filter to dissolve their CO2, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It performed perfectly at 1-2 bps, but frequently "burped" at 3-4 bps. To increase efficiency, I then added a glass/ceramic diffuser under the intake of the canister intake and added the Sera Flore 500 reactor to the canister output(no CO2 added to reactor, it simply catches and dissolves the "burps"). The output of the reactor then gets exhausted through a spray bar. This system completely dissolves 3 - 4 bps.

To summarize:
CO2 tank -> Glass Diffuser - > Marineland Magniflow Canister 160 -> Sera Flore 500 Reactor -> Spraybar

For my question, Is this a good long term solution? I have read online that this can degrade the canister filter parts, but not a SINGLE case of someone confirming this.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
I run my co2 into a Filstar XP-XL. I have other filters running on the tank, so I'm not too worried about the bio matter being affected.

Mine is on a 120G, so I am running a constant stream (maybe 8 to 10 bps). It does burp a few times a day, but to me it is no big deal.

The one thing I found that does help is that I don't fill it with any fine filter media. I just fill the baskets with coarse sponges and bio balls. Keeps the flow rate much more constant as well.

·
Registered
871 Posts
One thing to note is that your bps will be different than with a pressurized diffuser. Since there is no pressure in the line (except for the atmosphere), each bubble has less CO2 than if you were feeding a diffuser (at, say 40psi). On the other hand, you are getting 100% absorption of the CO2. Here is a video of this technique with a recently setup tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZXBQLl0tpM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.