The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently upgraded my planted tank to a 60 gallon. As part of the upgrade, I decided to ditch my paintball cylinder and get a 5lb tank for the CO2. I have been reading a lot online about people using their canister filter to dissolve their CO2, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It performed perfectly at 1-2 bps, but frequently "burped" at 3-4 bps. To increase efficiency, I then added a glass/ceramic diffuser under the intake of the canister intake and added the Sera Flore 500 reactor to the canister output(no CO2 added to reactor, it simply catches and dissolves the "burps"). The output of the reactor then gets exhausted through a spray bar. This system completely dissolves 3 - 4 bps.

To summarize:
CO2 tank -> Glass Diffuser - > Marineland Magniflow Canister 160 -> Sera Flore 500 Reactor -> Spraybar

For my question, Is this a good long term solution? I have read online that this can degrade the canister filter parts, but not a SINGLE case of someone confirming this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, CO2 degrades plastic.

If the canister filter is below the tank then there should be plenty of time to dissolve the CO2 fizz.

1-2bps is plenty.

I use 1bps with a pH controller so I won't get the burps before happy hour. I also ditched the diffuser for black airline tubing to the intake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.