The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright so the title is a bit gimmicky but its the only way I thought people would actually read it.

I've been noticing lately that there are a LOT of signatures with just lines of empty space under neath them. Personally it really irritates me because it makes threads longer to scroll through for no reason. If you had something in that space that meets the forum's rules for signatures I'm completely cool with that*.

So I'm wondering if you could take a min top and check to see if you have a bunch of wasted space in your signature. If there is, make it interesting or just delete the 10 lines of nothing please.

All right my public service rant is over and so are the deceptive titles of my topics.

-Andrew

*(Heck I have a decent sized signature but I try to keep it to a reasonable size.)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I feel so used..... :)

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I think the reason that there is a bunch of space under some people's signatures (like funkyfish's post above me) is to accommodate the name, icon, location, join date, posts, ptrader, etc on the left side.

·
Registered
974 Posts
^^^^^^

that seems to hit the nail on the head. I dont think everyone is as wordy as you Andrew :icon_smil

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I don't have anything in mine so that helps make up for some of them. :)

I even type in every post...

SteveU

out of habit since on some boards with old software it made it easier to find an old post in a particular forum. Now it's just a habit. :D

SteveU

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the reason that there is a bunch of space under some people's signatures (like funkyfish's post above me) is to accommodate the name, icon, location, join date, posts, ptrader, etc on the left side.
All right, that makes sense.

I wonder if there is anything that can be done to solve this issue lol...

I'll change the title.

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I have a solution.

If you are one of those people, all your posts just need to be long enough to fill up all that space so it isn't blank space.

So maybe,
Some of you,
Should write like this.
So that,
Space is filled up with
Stuff like this?

lol.

-Andrew

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
All right, that makes sense.

I wonder if there is anything that can be done to solve this issue lol...

I'll change the title.

-Andrew
How about having the name, icon, and other stuff at the top instead of the left? If it was like that, there wouldn't be the "wasted space". :flick: I don't think it's a big deal, but there's a solution to your idea.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate that style personally...

I think if you have one of those situations you should just have to post more :hihi:

-Andrew

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
No, you just need to not have short pointless posts.

Go for Tom Barr style ;)

-Andrew
HAHAH

That's actually really funny.

But it is convenient having different pieces of information listed like that.

IDK, you can just follow it easier.

You know what I mean? ;)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh,
as stated here
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/i...signature-rules-updated-5-2-a.html#post874995

your sigs have been limited to 125px in height, even though your sigs might be only one line of text, extra pixel are added. Not sure if there anything that can be done about it.
I think you missed my way to fix the problem. Everyone who has this happen must post Tom Barr style or quote one of his posts.

I do not think the fertilizers or complex chemicals are required, never where.
Same with slow release ferts, they already have these and have had them for 30 + years.

Nothing new or advanced other than repackaging and marketing.

Sediment/soil, ADA AS, Osmocoat etc, all slow release that last a lot longer than a month.

KNO3
KH2PO4
GH booster
Trace mixes

You really do not need more than this.
The rates of growth are what affect uptake/demand, so less reduced light that's nice and evenly spread across the surface and adds "just enough" that we can adjust to suit a particularly goal is far far more "needed".

Then you can get away with little dosing for weeks/months etc.
Some do this already.

But why pick on nutrients?
Do you lament over doisng the fish/feeding them with the same distain?
Oh the horror and complexity of feeding my fish 4 different types of food daily?

Come on..........

1. I'd vote for a good light that is easy to control the out put. They have such lights, and a light meter can dial in what range and how to set it up well to achieve that goal already.

2. Good precise and accurate way to measure CO2/O2. They have a some what reasonable O2 meter available, quite a bit of $ still, and even worse for CO2.

Still, they are available.

So light and CO2 are where the advances really are, not nutrients. Those are cheap marketing ploys.

3. Another possible area, but it's more a DIY or a hired plumber thing: automated water changes,. No work there.

4. Go low tech, stop using high tech CO2 methods and dosing. No water changes, easy to care for(add water and food for fish pretty much), use sediment ferts+ water column etc.

Perhaps many have forgotten the old methods before CO2 came along?
I'd say so, since most, 95-99% of folks are CO2 bias.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Then presto your posts are extra long! :hihi:

-Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts