The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem with their suction cups disintegrating (black ones) or else becoming white and too stiff to suction to the tank walls (clear ones) over time, or do I have something really weird going on in my tank? I have a constant problem keeping my heater and power head stuck in the right place because of disintegrating suction cups and I have jury rigged a couple of clear heater replacement suction cups for the power filter but those have turned white and gotten too stiff to suction. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this? Or at least know where I can buy the correct powerhead replacement suctions cups so they look better?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
You can try gently boiling them in water for a few minutes. It softens the rubber or plastic so it will suction again. I've done this a few times- actually need to do it again, the suction cup for my thermometer has come loose and is floating in tank corner right now.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I tried boiling the white ones, and they got translucent again and pliable, but only until they cooled, by the time I got them re-attached to the powerhead and in the water they were white and stiff again. How long do you boil them for? And how long to they stay pliable and hold a suction before you have to do it again?

Does anyone know why the stiffening or disintegration happens? Has anyone found any brand of suction cup that holds up longer? Or an alternative solution?

I mean, when I say they disintegrate, they really crumble away to nothing and leave my hands black if I touch them:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries JJ! Did you actually leave them in the water for 3ish minutes while it was actively boiling? I think maybe that was my mistake, I turned the water off and sort of dipped them in just until they softened, I was afraid they would melt. Clearly, they won't, so I will probably try dropping them in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and see if that rejuvenates them more effectively :) Thanks!

Also still pondering other solutions though....does anyone have experience with the magnetic "suction" cups?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.