The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 6 pots of crypt parva today and the pots were buried in the substrate at the pet store. When I got home I noticed the pots had BGA all over the rockwool. I bought some parva from the same source a while back and had a major BGA outbreak in my tank. It was in the foreground where the parva was. I had to dig it all up and throw it away. Is there a way to disinfect the plants before I use them. I've heard bleach before and won't use it. I had a bad experience and don't want to risk it. Any other way?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Blue Green Algae is actually closer related to bacteria, and a Gram positive antibiotic will kill it with no harm at all to the plants.
Look for Erythromycin in the fish stores. Maracyn is one product that includes it. (Not Maracyn plus or Maracyn II)

Put the plants in a quarantine tank, remove as much of the BGA as possible. Then run a full treatment with the erythromycin (a 5-day treatment)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Because antibiotics go into the water system, and then it stops killing germs, because the germs get used to (adapts to) it.... and then we die.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Don't need to dose whole tank with peroxide to treat a few new plant's.
Just spray the new plant's with small spray bottle and 50/50 mixture of water and peroxide.Let the plants be exposed to this for a couple minutes.
If dosing whole tank with peroxide (one two punch),then just remove the filter media to a bucket of tank water during the treatment, and replace when done.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You'd better hurry up, as this scenario is getting closer and closer. I don't think we have discovered any new antibiotics for decades now.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
im planning to become a robot by that time :D
It affects our fish as well. Only use antibiotics for diseases. There are already antibiotic resistant bacteria in this world and in our aquariums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

why would you use peroxide wich kills nitrifying bacteria when you can use erythrmicyn wich does no harm?
Wrong. Plus, antibiotics are expensive. Peroxide is $1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yes, peroxide is very good. If you want to make a clone out of a mushroom, you break it open, grab a piece from the centre of the stem dip it in peroxide to sterilise it, and then use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.