The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my wit's end here. I bought 2 Black Mollies from LFS about 2 months ago, one of them died within 2 weeks, the other one has taken on a strange green-ish, gold discolouration to the lower half of it's body. At first it was just some speckles but now it's half covered in this stuff. I thought it was algae growing on it at first but it was acting strangely too and the stuff started spreading and looking more golden. The Molly was sort of diving up and down really fast in the corner of the tank. All other fish in the tank are fine, many inhabitants have been there for over a year.

So I took her out and put her in a 5g bucket with a heater and a spongefilter. I thought it might be "Velvet / Gold Dust Disease" so I covered up the top of the bucket so as not to allow light in, gradually increased salt concentration in the water, turned up the temperature gradually and treated with Ich treatment. None of that had any effect, so then I kept increasing the salt, kept the tank dark and treated it with Methyline Blue. That didn't work so I increased the dosage of Methyline Blue and salt even further, still nothing. The fish looks worse than ever. It's now been in a darkened, salted bucket at about 80F for over a month and has been treated with both Ich cure and Methyline Blue. I'm getting frustrated, I neither want a dead fish or a bucket sat in my room. Any advice? Is this fish a goner?

Photos are upside down... :p

Oh and I've changed 1/3 the water in his bucket every week, fed him only a couple of flakes per day and filled the bottom of the bucket with copper coins.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That green gold coloration might be natural coloring.
That would make sense as none of the other fish have any problems. The Molly was originally pure black with a little silver underneath though, could it have changed so drastically in colour during adolescence? I'm just concerned because the other Molly I bought died fast... and he seemed to be behaving erratically - swimming up and down in depth rapidly... but maybe that's normal for a Molly, or just a coincidence.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Freshwater Ich

I'd like you to read this article, it is about ich, but it explains why its best not to mix salt/medicine treatments and lots of general treatment advice that are best learned sooner than later. Blackout is lethal to velvet, but there are a horde of things that looks like it.
Without a scrape under a microscope, you can NEVER tell just by looking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freshwater Ich

I'd like you to read this article, it is about ich, but it explains why its best not to mix salt/medicine treatments and lots of general treatment advice that are best learned sooner than later. Blackout is lethal to velvet, but there are a horde of things that looks like it.
Without a scrape under a microscope, you can NEVER tell just by looking.
"Can I use meds and salt at the same time:
This is kind of a loaded question. Salt and meds will not effect each other, but the combined stress is not a good thing for your fish. And since both will accomplish the same thing without the help of the other it is not necessary to put your fish through the stress of both at once. I would not recommend it at all. People have done it, but I don?t see any sense in it personally."

I don't think the salt should stress the fish as it's a Molly and I increased the concentration gradually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recommendation 1 - Stay away from black Mollies! They have always been problematic.
2 - Mollies are a brackish water fish and really need salt to thrive.
3 - try antibiotic fish meds first.
4. If all else fails and nothing is working... a salt water dip might help.

seriously... My family used to own a pet store... Black Mollies were always difficult to keep disease free. My dad bred gorgeous high fin lyretail blacks, but always kept them in brackish water.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I cant speak to this particular instance but I can give an example. I have Sunset Honey Gouramis. I noticed one of them developing black from his chin down and I mean black. Scared the heck out of me at first. Turns out the fish was changing over to his adult breeding colors.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Hard alkaline water of at least 12 dgh and pH 7.6 to 8.0 with salt of at least one tablespoon per 10 gal produced best result's with mollies I used to care for.
They do poorly in neutral to soft water condition's overall.
If water is closer to neutral with respect to pH and or GH is low,then one can use Marine salt used in marine aquariums at 1/2 suggested dose for marine application.
Shotgun approach with med's seldom brings desired result's and increasing doseage from direction's with med's is stressful to toxic.
Also be aware that creating condition's suitable for mollies does not mean other fishes will enjoy these condition's.
Best in my view to keep mollies in species only tank's for that reason.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
yah yah, sorry, still foggy in my head in the morning... awesome side effect of being well medicated.

They show external parasites like ich etc. long before you notice it on a silver fish.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
They need appropriate hardness, not salinity. I would always recommend putting a large chunk of barnacle shell in there for this reason, rather than salt.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1286.0
Folk's have use mollies to cycle marine aquarium's for year's.(they actually thrive in these condition's)
I do agree that hardness is most important ,just pointing out what produced best result's for me .
Marine salt also increases hardness(calcium,Mg) so is win/win for this particular species .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hmm Curiosity question.

Can the waste water of a Reverse Osmosis filter be suitable for raising Black mollies? I suppose it would be very hard. And would it be good for other livebearers like platies?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Water in my area is naturally hard, so I doubt that's a problem.

The plot has thickened somewhat: on a forum specific to my country someone made a thread (which is yet unresolved) stating that they had a green mark growing on one of their black mollies.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ain't no argument from me.
Seen it done it all ,with respect to trying to get the mollies to thrive and simply shared what worked for me.(my water was/is fairly hard)
Is the only FW species I suggest salt with at ratio mentioned.
I could site similar views as mine from some well respected folk's in the hobby(WetWebMedia) but then what is there to gain?
Opinion's are like Bar-B-Q recipes,every body's got one.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Lol, lets disagree to agree. I do agree with you, if you were to use salt, marine salt may be a better option, for said reasons... not sure if everything in there is ideal for fresh water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Folk's have use mollies to cycle marine aquarium's for year's.(they actually thrive in these condition's)
I do agree that hardness is most important ,just pointing out what produced best result's for me .
Marine salt also increases hardness(calcium,Mg) so is win/win for this particular species .

YES... salt is a mineral. To thrive and be healthy salt is a must.... The reason mollies are used to cycle marine aquariums... They are much cheaper than any saltwater fish AND they are naturally found in areas where rivers dump into the sea. Can they be adapted to freshwater? Obviously yes, but to approximate their natural habitat... Salt is needed.

There are a number of brackish water species that can "survive" well enough in fresh water but almost certainly will do better with salt. This will of course change parameters of the plants you can keep as well of course.

I have always thought the one reason mollies are susceptible to ich and other diseases is some level of stress from adapting to a fresh water only environment.

Never done a brackish planted tank,,,,,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.