The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home and saw this on one of my Rams... She's been scratching on the wood since the am. Any idea on how to treat it?

Please help. I don't want my other fish to catch it...

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, i don't have a quarantine tank so i isolated her in a breeder net so that the other fish don't nip at her... I had done a water change (10-15%) and tested the ammonia and nitrIte and got levels of 0 ammonia and .25ppm nitrIte which seems VERY odd as the tank has only been running for about 13 days now... really confusing. I do have plants in the tank as well as some driftwood and all the changes in swimming and aggression patterns started happening after I did a close to 50% water change Friday afternoon. I added a little aquarium salt (approximately 1/2 tablespoon) and raised the temp to 84 degrees. I did a quick spot check with the other fish for signs of ich but everything seems to be in order... I hope she doesn't stress out in the breeder net. I don't want to medicate until I can figure out for sure what's going on...

If you have any ideas on what could be going on, please throw it out there...

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately, i don't have a quarantine tank so i isolated her in a breeder net so that the other fish don't nip at her... I had done a water change (10-15%) and tested the ammonia and nitrIte and got levels of 0 ammonia and .25ppm nitrIte which seems VERY odd as the tank has only been running for about 13 days now... really confusing. I do have plants in the tank as well as some driftwood and all the changes in swimming and aggression patterns started happening after I did a close to 50% water change Friday afternoon. I added a little aquarium salt (approximately 1/2 tablespoon) and raised the temp to 84 degrees. I did a quick spot check with the other fish for signs of ich but everything seems to be in order... I hope she doesn't stress out in the breeder net. I don't want to medicate until I can figure out for sure what's going on...

If you have any ideas on what could be going on, please throw it out there...

Thanks!
Alot of the common bacterial diseases that affect fish are made worse at higher temperatures. Also, keeping the fish in a breeder net is probably making it more stressed than leaving it in the tank. Also, adding fish (especially rams which can be sensitive) before a tank is fully cycled/so early in the tank's life is generally a bad idea.

Find something like Maracyn Plus and dose the entire tank, as you don't have a quarantine tank, if you think it's bacterial. I can't really see anything from the picture you posted so I can't tell you what's wrong with the fish.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
What is you nitrate reading? I'm not sure your tank is fully cycled yet. I don't know what's aggravating her skin but you need to get that nitrite reading down. Nitrite can be more deadly than ammonia poisoning. At .25 if you do a 50% water change it will cut it in half to about .12, then I'd do another 50% water change immediately to get it to .06. Keep an eye on your parameters by testing everyday and as long as you are showing nitrite, keep doing those water changes and be sure to temperature match the new water. And let her out of the breeder's net. If she's got something contagious to the other tank occupants, they've already been exposed to it the moment you dropped her in. Her flashing against things could also be a reaction to the water as a skin irritant. No new fish until you have this all sorted out.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It looks like ammonia or nitrate poisoning to me too. Daily 25% water changes and get her out of the net. If it is nitrate/ammonia poisoning, she will recover without adding any meds if you keep the water changes going until the tank is back in balance. Also feed a lot less than you have been. It looks like you have a ton of planaria in your tank and that is a direct result of over feeding.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Scratching is a sign of a skin irritant like parasites or infection. When in doubt, I like to do a water change and add H2O2, 1-2 ml/10Gallon.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It looks like ammonia or nitrate poisoning to me too. Daily 25% water changes and get her out of the net. If it is nitrate/ammonia poisoning, she will recover without adding any meds if you keep the water changes going until the tank is back in balance. Also feed a lot less than you have been. It looks like you have a ton of planaria in your tank and that is a direct result of over feeding.
How/where can you see that in the photo?? What am I missing?
I think they are jokingly referring to the bubbles that look like steaks in the picture. I guess they kinda look like Planaria. :icon_roll

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Rams are sensitive and shouldn't be used to cycle a tank. You'll need to do daily water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrite as low as possible or you'll lose them all. Do you have access to a mature tank? If so you can use some filter media from it to help you out.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ammonia is at 0ppm and Nitrite is at .25 ppm.. still can't figure out what stage of cycling my tank is at.. today is day 14 of it being up and running. I now know I shouldn't have put fish in at all but since I did, i gotta roll the dice and see what happens... There is a lot let rubbing up against the driftwood so I'm hoping the water changes have helped.. but now one of my angelfish don't seem well. If it ain't one thing, it's another.. haha

and what is "flashing"? is that the same as rubbing up on the decor? or is it related to color changes? this terminology has got me slightly confused

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update (Posted a day late):

Got home yesterday afternoon and saw that one of my angels had a white fungus/spot on its tailfin. I began treating the whole tank last night with maracyn two... Hopefully things will work out and the meds will clear any sort of disease or infection on the fish. The rams are noticeably "flashing" a lot less and the wound in the pic above looks like it's healing so I've got my fingers crossed. I've got to add today's dosage of Maracyn Two in a few hours. The tank itself is looking a bit cloudy and there is some sort of growth on the glass... maybe some form of algae.. It's a clear, spotty kind of growth.. any ideas? Regardless, I hope everything works out and my fish live through this...

The woes of a new tank... :confused1:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow... You got some issues, that's for sure! If you head to your local fish store, you should be able to buy a bottle of beneficial bacteria to "instantly" cycle your tank. I'm not positive on how well this stuff works, but on my first tank, when it was still cycling 2.5 months after setting it up, I got some of this bacteria, and the cycle was finished by the next morning. Same goes for my 75 gallon that I just set up a couple weeks ago. I got impatient, and dumped a bottle of this stuff directly into the filter. The tank had been running for 2 weeks, and again, was cycled the next day. I think the bottle was like, 12 dollars. Also, if you don't have a quarantine tank, you can always get a rubber made container and a hob. My wife gets upset every time she sees "the bucket" in the bathroom (5 gallon bucket with hob and heater) but she knows it's for the fishies well being.

If you are a bit of a gambling man, you might be able to get a "filter squeeze" from your LFS. You run the problem of possibly having whatever kinds of parasites, fungus, and foreign tropical diseases from all over the world injected directly into your aquarium, but... it will cycle VERY quickly. A safer bet would be to get a squeeze from a fellow aquarist. Basically, you take a large ziplock baggie, and squeeze the water from an established filter directly into the bag. Wet the filter, and do it again. Keep doing this until the bag is full. You now have a bag that's full of beneficial bacteria.

Also, if you have carbon in your filter, remove it. It will absorb medications that are put in the tank. And you don't really need it anyway. I haven't used any carbon for about 8 months now. No problems.

How many fish do you have in this tank, and how big is it?

P.S. I'm still pretty new to aquariums. I've only been keeping them for about a year or so. Thus far I've only had two problems with fish getting sick. And one time, I don't think the fish was actually sick. So feel free to get another opinion. I think a lot of your problems are due to the tank cycling, and therefore greatly lowering your fish's immune systems.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
you can treat a large variety of skin issues by raising the temperature of the water and adding Fish Tonic Salt. I also use melafix for fungus and skin irritations.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TANK SPECS:

20g tall
Aqua Clear 50 HOB filter
Air pump with air stone and bubble wand
marineland heater
Nova Extreme 2x24 T5 HO light fixture
regular aquarium gravel

Plants:
2 anubias (not sure which species)
1 java fern
1 banana plant
various stem plants

Fish (in order of addition to tank):
2 boesemani rainbowfish
1 gold balloon ram
3 electric blue rams
3 angelfish

Video Link:
http://youtu.be/4boFqUw8e5g

on a sidenote... what would be considered "fully stocked" and "overstocked" for a 20g?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
salt also drastically reduces the toxic effect of nitrites in the tank and won't interfere with the cycle completion. good luck OP reads like you have you're hands full.
edit; a 20g TALL can hold 2 adult angels and that's crowded (full)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
salt also drastically reduces the toxic effect of nitrites in the tank and won't interfere with the cycle completion. good luck OP reads like you have you're hands full.
edit; a 20g TALL can hold 2 adult angels and that's crowded (full)

Yeah that tank is going to need to be a lot bigger for that many angels and rams...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow... You got some issues, that's for sure! If you head to your local fish store, you should be able to buy a bottle of beneficial bacteria to "instantly" cycle your tank. I'm not positive on how well this stuff works, but on my first tank, when it was still cycling 2.5 months after setting it up, I got some of this bacteria, and the cycle was finished by the next morning. Same goes for my 75 gallon that I just set up a couple weeks ago. I got impatient, and dumped a bottle of this stuff directly into the filter. The tank had been running for 2 weeks, and again, was cycled the next day. I think the bottle was like, 12 dollars. Also, if you don't have a quarantine tank, you can always get a rubber made container and a hob. My wife gets upset every time she sees "the bucket" in the bathroom (5 gallon bucket with hob and heater) but she knows it's for the fishies well being.

If you are a bit of a gambling man, you might be able to get a "filter squeeze" from your LFS. You run the problem of possibly having whatever kinds of parasites, fungus, and foreign tropical diseases from all over the world injected directly into your aquarium, but... it will cycle VERY quickly. A safer bet would be to get a squeeze from a fellow aquarist. Basically, you take a large ziplock baggie, and squeeze the water from an established filter directly into the bag. Wet the filter, and do it again. Keep doing this until the bag is full. You now have a bag that's full of beneficial bacteria.

Also, if you have carbon in your filter, remove it. It will absorb medications that are put in the tank. And you don't really need it anyway. I haven't used any carbon for about 8 months now. No problems.

How many fish do you have in this tank, and how big is it?

P.S. I'm still pretty new to aquariums. I've only been keeping them for about a year or so. Thus far I've only had two problems with fish getting sick. And one time, I don't think the fish was actually sick. So feel free to get another opinion. I think a lot of your problems are due to the tank cycling, and therefore greatly lowering your fish's immune systems.

I was not able to find any bacteria at my local fish store, but I grabbed some Tetra SafeStart off Amazon and it cycled the tank in 4 days

I have tried SeaChem's stability in the past to no avail.

OP, I recommend TSS to help you settle down your chemicals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts