The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been having trouble with holes in my Cryptocoryne lutea for the past couple months - definitely since before Xmas. I know that the default answer is that my plants are potassium deficient but I dose potassium, also I've kept lutea in this tank for probably 6 years now and at times I went for long periods without dosing anything and I have never had this problem before.

Here are the deets on my tank:

Filter: Eheim 2215 w/ bio media, mechanical filtration, Purigen and some Peat Pellets.
Lighting: 1x39w HO T5
CO2: Excel and I just set up some DIY yeast CO2.

Water Params (tested on 3-3-12)
ph: 6.8
kh: 2
gh: 35.8 ppm

Ammonia, Nitrate, etc not a problem, this tank is fully cycled and nothing crazy has happened lately.

I fertilize with Seachem products according to their recommended schedule: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf and I have Pfertz tabs in the substrate.

For several weeks I dosed about 50% more Potassium than usual to see if this would help but it seemed to do nothing. What I'm starting to wonder is if this is a disease because its only attacking my crypts (mostly the lutea, although I have noticed a bit of the same symptoms on some of my other species) OR could it be some kind of pest? I know that I do have a LOT of limpets in my tank and this is actually a pretty recent infestation, but everything that I've read indicates that they are harmless.

Please take a look at the attached pics and let me know if you have seen anything like this and what you did for it. And if you respond telling me to does Potassium without explaining why I'll know you haven't read this ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
either CO2 or Potassium deficiency, and keep in mind that the old leaves are not going to improve after you increase your dosage, just keep an eye on the new leaves.

·
Registered
461 Posts
+1 for Potassium, did you move the crypt within the tank ? In my tank crypts will melt if i uproot them and plant them in another place. I would suggest pruning the leaves that have started to melt. I've never had a melted leaf come back.

EDIT : Are you using anything to enrich the substrate ? root tabs etc ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you guys read my original post? I'm already dosing Potassium... 5 mL of Seachem Potassium 2x a week and I have Pfertz tabs in place. And no I have not moved these plants recently, but anyway....

The dose that I'm administering is allegedly enough to raise the Potassium in my tank to 4 mg/L... and for a few weeks I dosed a total of 15 mL per week to see if that would help. Is there a target I should aim for?

Additionally, some of the newer leaves even have signs of this problem... which is why I am concerned about this being a disease.

As for CO2... could this be the result of Excel use? I've read in a few other places that it negatively effects some species of plants... could this be an instance?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it getting more direct light than it did in the past?
No, this light has been in place for over a year now.

Nope. Crypts dont like Excel. Period.
I think I am going to stop dosing Excel for a while and see what happens. Since I'm running DIY now I will feel more comfortable doing so.

Thx, according to this I should be dosing some more K... probably I will up my dosage then for a while again and if that (combined with nixing the Excel) helps correct my problem.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he was going for more light, as in sunlight. BGA seems to really like it.
Oh... no, the tank gets no sunlight, when I moved in I specifically set my tanks up in a corner that gets zero sunlight and has a pretty stable temp. Had a tank near a window once and I'll never do that again - it was impossible to balance.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Nope. Crypts dont like Excel. Period.
Ok, so first Excel was being blamed for Cryp melt, and now you are blaming it for making pin holes? My experience has been a little different.

I have grown wendtii, lucens, lutea, blassi, parva, balansae, retrospiralis, and usteriana with Excel for very long periods of time, one Cryp only tank running for three years: dosing high amounts of Excel daily with no melt or pin holes.

A friend of mine who collects Cryps has been using Excel, and her own homemade Excel without any problems with Cryp melt or pin holes since 2002.

What is in Pferts tabs? Are there any macros in it?

My ideal potassium level has always been 20 ppm. Thats what I shoot for.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Raven, you said your tank has been setup for six years. I wonder if it is possible your substrate has lost its CEC for the ferts you are adding and the plants are no longer getting enough nourishment. It is just a guess, but I know most plants benefit from repotting. Is it possible that the ionic sites on the subrate have been filled my elements and compounds the plants do not use?

Klaus

·
Registered
503 Posts
My wendtiis have the same problem. Only on the older leaves, though. But I also have ramshorn snails in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went from a 30 gal into a 125 gal, and transferred all my plants into the new tank. Before I started this my crpyts looked just like yours....when I uprooted the plants the majority of the roots had what looked like root rot and had a bad odor. So i trimmed the damaged leafs and roots stuck them into the new tank and now they are thriving. Also I rarely dose potassium.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts