The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My largest and most beautiful discuss just jumped! I left my office for a few minutes and came back to find it on the ground not moving.

Not sure how long out of the water. Maybe about 1-10min?

I quickly picked it up and placed it back in the tank upon which is sank to the bottom.

I have been moving it back and forth in the water for about 30 minutes now, trying to get some movement to its gills.
Its eyes look glossed over and the coloration is very dark.
It is now at the bottom of the tank leaning against wall. Gills pumping and mouth gasping. Other discuss are surrounding it. :-(

What should I do?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE:
The other discuss are nudging the jumper.
It goes from laying on its side to swimming somewhere dark.
One eye is very cloudy. The coloration is even darker.

Any other advise aside from Praying :)

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I'd have to see it, but I would think I would be leaning towards euthenization.

I have fish, for whatever reason, end up in various predicaments. I once had an oscar that I found on the floor when I went to school. I picked him up, through him in the tank, and he swam happily along. I've also found fish in the wet/dry. Some lived, some didn't.

But I've never had a fish that I can think of that suffered visible damage and recovered.

I wish you the best of luck. Please don't euthenize on my account until you are sure. I can't see the fish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice. He is still alive. Just at the bottom of the tank gasping a bit. Coloration is dark where I think he flopped on the carpet maybe? It looks like he was dry a bit. I have been handling him too moving him back and forth for the last few hours on and off. I think the my handling (as gentle as I could be) may be causing the discoloration too.... Going to stop playing fish doctor now and see what happens.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
Color still changing.
Still alive. Just making sure the amanos and snails don't eat him while he decides if he wants to live or not.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
try putting an airstone in front of its face, my friend did this to his almost dried arrowana and it came back to life. but if its moving its own gil flaps and everything then its best to just leave him be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Some one else said to do the same.
Gil flaps are moving still.
Air stone is now on. Lights are off.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had a pleco survive out side the tank for at least 30 minutes.
I looked down at the carpet and there is this fish all wrapped up in dog hair eeew. I quickly picked him up and threw him back in the tank hair and all. He wound up being fine a few hours later.

Good luck with your fish, I hope he's ok.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you!
Still alive. Gil flaps still flapping. Color changing still.
Other discuss hanging around him occasionally nudging.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How to avoid your Discuss from Jumping

So moving forward, How does one avoid beautiful Discuss from jumping to their death?
I have a 50 ADA with no screen or glass top (See pic).
I dont want to see this happen again nor do I want to ruin the open top tank look.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think the poor guy died:

Middle English from Latin for the end, also used in French and Spanish. Usually used in classical music terminology, where I learned it in High School, and other arts.

If that's the case you have my condolences, it is never fun to lose a fish, especially one of your favorites that you've had awhile.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:( i konw how that goes i have lost 2 sicsor tail gobies ($20 each) so i bought 1/4" plate glass for all my tanks, i got it form a local glass store and it was like $12 for my 20H, $20 for my 55, and $6 for the 10 gal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts