Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Thought about it.

Votes: 29 32.2%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see how many people have discus in this thread. And also how many people on hear are on Simply discus?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Tried them many moons ago and will not do it again till I have an option for much larger tanks, better gear and a limitless supply of live foods. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Love'em, but they require patience and more of your time. I think I'll always have a tank full of them

·
Registered
596 Posts
Want'em bad but, the tank I currently have won't allow it and I won't be getting a new tank anytime real soon. Also I'm on simplydiscus.com as well, just not very much.

Brian

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha I feel everyones pain on this subject. I'm 22 and well in the past 2 years I have had them and spent a fortune. I wish I knew what I knew now.

Like In Ontario the rena xp3 filstar cost me 175 on boxing day. Now a year later I found out I could get away with a micro sponge I think it it as an air bubbler. I also learned never mix sick fish with healthy ones.

But The joy out of petting my discus and having them eat out of my hand and what my g/f's , ment as past present and future say about them I would do it again in a heat beat. right now I have 9 well 11 if you count the 2 that my gram cakes have. Now thats out of 24 discus i had total in my life.

What I'm trying now but with little cash and little success is a community planted discus tank. I seen a lot of beautiful tanks but there over 2000$ of gravel, lights, and CO2.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a breeding pair in my tank along with some tetras, apistos, otos and plecos. Part of me kind of regrets the choice because there is more maintenance, specialized feeding and the behavior of the smaller fish is different in their presence. But on the other hand, they are so pretty and as they get to know me as the food-bringer they are becoming very puppy-like. Surprisingly, they are one of the more placid fish I have in my tank - all the other fish are either more fiesty or more perky.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it all depends on what you think is work. Like me doing 3-4 water changes a week and 5-7 feedings a day isn't work.

I love it because I love the attention i get from them. Work is hard and not fun, now a hobby is enjoyable and you have fun. Thats why i chose the fieald I want to be in because its fun. And I wont hate doing it for the rest of my life. LOL

Like yeah I had problems doing water changes once a month and feeding every day when I was younger. It was an adjustment but worth it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just got into Discus a year ago. Architect, you probably saw some of my beginner Discus questions on SD.com :) Tina, I know you from SD as well. You guys may not remember me since I've been rather scarce there.

My Discus are my favorite fish. They are so docile and calming. The reside in a 125gal planted tank in the master bedroom. The tank is pictured in my sig and the 2 Red Truqs are in my avatar.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey Tina I didn't know you where hear. How are you? Hows the fish?
Hanging in there :). The fish are doing fine. The thing is that with the planted tank some of my fish have set up teritories, so I'll have less discus in a larger planted tank than in my BB tank. There are other types of fish in there too, so I guess it's a trade off :)

Tina

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have them and find they are pretty easy to keep, especially the wilds. I've been to Simply and DAAH but not for a long time.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I know Tina is in SD as well.:hihi: It's just I don't frequent that forum much.:smile:

I have two here. One has been pestering me a lot to give him more food even during tank maintenance.:icon_roll He relishes almost everything I give.:eek5:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've thought about them, but I'm not ready for them. LOL They are so beautiful. I enjoy reading about them in TFH; great column in there. I figure when I'm ready, I'll take the plunge. At least I have been building up a good foundation so when I am ready, I'll do it right. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts