The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,I'm back from my trip to Chicago to pick my discus.4.1/2 hours there 5.1/2 back in the pouring rain,my daughter,granddaughter,grandson in law and two beautiful great granddaughters.Not to bad going but coming back with the rain was tough not to mention the necessary pee breaks as the kids call them but all went well.left at 6 am.got home at 11 pm.we stopped at the Shedds aquarium and spent about three hours there and still did not see everything.Very cool place with the beluga whales being my favorite.The traffic in Chicago is very hectic and busy so took more time there.So was it worth it?? OH YEA!!!Can't say enough about Miranda and Chicago Discus.She invited us in for a tour of her facility and it is dazzling.Went to each of the six types I ordered and picked the ones I wanted but in truth there is not a bad one in the bunch they were large,healthy and she really cares about there safety and well being.She gave me ideas for feeding and keeping Discus that I really appreciated.She has four breeding pairs for sale for the low low price of 650.00 to 800.00 dollars and if you saw them you would know why.They were the size of Frisbee and sensational colors.I am posting some pics taken by my son in law with a good camera on a tripod and hope to post a you video he made at a later date.sorry for so many pics but it was hard to choose...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Those are awesome! Some would think a 17 hour trip for fish is absolutely ridiculous, but they just don't get it! Beautiful fish! It looks like her means and methods are top notch! Enjoy those gorgeous discus!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looks great! I followed your thread on planning this out. I know you put a lot of thought and work into this project. It shows. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful!:thumbsup:
thanks

Bump:
Those are awesome! Some would think a 17 hour trip for fish is absolutely ridiculous, but they just don't get it! Beautiful fish! It looks like her means and methods are top notch! Enjoy those gorgeous discus!
thanks it was worth any little aggravations

Bump:
Looks great! I followed your thread on planning this out. I know you put a lot of thought and work into this project. It shows. Nice job.
thanks

Bump:
and you figured out the camera.. BONUS!!!!!
Hi Nordic,actually it is my son in laws camera he is a birder so has a great camera but he also fixed mine

Bump:
Wow!! They are beautiful. Keep us updated on how they are doing. In other words.. pictures often please.
thanks and will do

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Absolutely stunning discus !!!
You did very well with your selections - superb array of strains ! Congrats.

And with your white sand, you shouldn't get any peppering on those beautiful pigeon-based fish.

And I'm thinking - I believe you're hooked on discus now - but hey, that's not a bad thing !

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

And with your white sand, you shouldn't get any peppering on those beautiful pigeon-based fish.

And I'm thinking - I believe you're hooked on discus now - but hey, that's not a bad thing !
Hi paul,thanks again for all the help getting here and yes definitely hooked on these beauties.Miranda said she does know you and if your ever around her place you should call her and stop in because she has a wonderful set up.I might start another thread because I do have a few more questions.Hope that is ok...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If you start another thread, and I feel I can help with anything that crops up there, you can be sure I'll chime in.

Or, if you wish, don't hesitate to PM me anytime.

·
Registered
275 Posts

never had discus, can you explain this for me?

op, stunning fish!!! well worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
never had discus, can you explain this for me?

op, stunning fish!!! well worth the trip.
Hi trailsnale,this was something I learned when I first began this journey a year ago.Apparently with a dark substrate the fish use a safety mechanism to blend in and hide from predators so they develop little black spots which can detract from there appearance so a light substrate and background if not using plants will keep there beautiful colors unmarked.

Bump:
Thanks a lot man, now I want a discus tank also!!! Absolutely beautiful selection, well worth the drive!
thanks and yes well worth the ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts