The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little up date on the discus tank.Things have settled down and so have i,the fast movements I heard were the results of one of them getting a little aggressive{red turquoise }and chasing the others especially at feeding time but they all seem to get there share and no damage is being done,it is funny that two of them who are bigger don't confront him but the white butterfly who is the smallest gives it right back.I removed the second filter an ac 70 i had for water movement but the cascade 1500 has plenty of power and they seemed not to enjoy current from both ends and with all the water changes it was unnecessary.I decided to try beef heart even with the warning of pollution and bought a good brand with hearts,shrimp and kale as the only ingredients and they loved it so will feed on water change days so no worries.If I have any concerns now it is with the super red checkerboard who seems to be hassled at feeding time by before mentioned red turquoise and seems to miss a lot of the food but he looks great so will just watch him. O.K. I included a you tube video but it is my first time so not real great but does show a little of the aggression.Next time I will wait until evening and turn the tv off lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwXmaGmmKo4

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Nice video - good work.
That kind of pecking order activity is pretty much harmless and will likely continue to some extent or another through your discus' lifetimes, with periodic lulls when they may actually behave like very compatible buddies for a while - so you'll get used to it - LOL.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looks very nice!!

Aaron

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Beef hart is not a good protein, people are still using it because some dumbarse in the 30's mentioned it in some paper.

I would have used it otherwise, the guy across the street runs a sausage factory, there are always crates of hearts going around.
They are not getting anything from it they couldn't gain in a number of ways. If you want to feed them something useful, try liver)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Nordic,just want to say I read all your posts and replies because I love your sense of humor and you have made me laugh out loud more than once.That said I can't totally agree about the beef heart,When setting my tank I researched for months to be sure that I knew what i was doing and even contacted some of the better breeders like Kenny and Han and they all use bh to raise their discus.I'm not saying it is the king of all foods and I feed my discus freeze dried black worms,blood worms and am getting them to slowly take a hi protein flake and pellet.I think variety is the important thing and using bh as the bulk of their diet would I'm sure not provide enough nutrition but as one of the pieces it seems to be doing me well.Liver probably would be a better protein source but would worry about water quality if using it and a final point is Miranda at Chicago Discus where I bought my fish highly recommended it as a food source along with already mentioned goodies.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
There is a pretty good video out on preparing your own food. I'll find it for you during the day.... its half past 3 am now, so not in mood for searching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.