The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 120 gallon fish tank with 3 discus , I do plan to get more but for now I have to kinda settle . I was talking to my friend about reasonable tank mates . He suggested some kind of tetra maybe a congo or emperor . He said that he isn't sure but he thinks there may also be a kind of rainbow fish . Any ideas on tank mates or what those two species could be ?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Congo tetras and emporer tetras can tolerate temps to 81F. I've not heard of too many people keeping them in discus tanks. Most people go for the rummynose tetras and cardinal tetras. I have black neons with mine and love them!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I had neon tetras, ottos and corys with my discus...

IMHO, community fish like tetras (cardinal, black, rummy nose blah3x), rasboras, rams, plecos, loaches etc. will do and blend well with discus... Avoid aggressive fish like cichlids cause most of the time they don't go well together... Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like rummynose, otos and cories with discus. each are interesting in there own way and each have their own function. cories will help keep the substrate clean by eating leftovers from your messy discus and rummies. otos are good for algae. and if your rummies start to loose their red noses something is wrong with your water parameters, they are like an early warning system in that way. unlike cardinals who just die....and the rummies school much better. a school of 30-40 rummies would be quite impressive in your 120g:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I keep mine with neons, cardinals, rummynoses, cory cats and a pleco. I had an angelfish with them that got along fine but angels are usually not recommended as tank mates for discus, yet during the time they were together I never saw a single problem

·
Registered
205 Posts
purely from a compatibility standpoint i would say that you are fine. if you like the paring then that is you prerogative. but i think many would find the paring off-putting and bothersome as discus are from south america and rasboras are southeast asian fish. notice all of the recommendations from others on this thread are of other south american fish......

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
"Traditional" discus tankmates are cardinal & rummynosed tetras (better than most other schooling fish b/c they can take the warm temperatures well), Cory cats (especially Sterbai), Otocinclus (some have issues, others don't) and Rams. All are from the Amazon, compatible with each other and with planted tanks, and need exactly the same water parameters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.