The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm back.tank is now set except for the canister filter and the two 200 watt heaters did not work out.I keep my house so cold 62 at night 65 daytime that they are both working to keep it at 80 so will move them to the 40 gallon and bought two 300 watts.I love the controller set and forget with warning bells if there is any problems.Have my list of fish from Chicago discus and decided to go with 6 total so here is my first question.They are all 5-5 1/2 inch except one 4.0 it is a white butterfly and I love it, does the difference in size of one cause a problem with bullying?I have a AC 70 running with two bags of purigen and water has cleared nicely.I will cycle just before getting the fish.My other question is feeding.Could you pros tell me what you feed and how many times a day.I have researched a lot and it seems like beef heart,frozen and freeze dried red and black worms are favored.
Last question,on advice from Paul I am forgoing co2 for now until at least they are settled in and doing discus stuff.As you can see i am sparsely planted with mostly swords,crypts,vals and blyxa.i dose my other two tanks EI style and have been half dosing the new tank.Paul or someone do you dose excel or ferts in your tanks?Because of the pfs i did use root tabs sparingly deep under the root hogs.Last thing is ph,i have checked multiple times and ph is right at 7.4 which according to the ladies at Ch.discus is just right and they suggest a simple float and add water to acclimate.Any thoughts? will keep you updated soon. thanks

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Hi Doogy,
There should be no problem with 6 fish when 5 of them are around 5", and one is only 4". At least I'd be very surprised if any serious bullying developed - it's possible, but rare & highly unlikely. So go ahead.

You should be just fine with just a few root tab ferts, but you could also occasionally dose with Excel, and other liquid or dry ferts, as I do occasionally. But it shouldn't be necessary with just light plantings, and may attract some unwanted algae.

As for feeding, in any planted tank, I would avoid any type of beefheart - very messy, can pollute the water fairly quickly if not completely cleaned up, and near adult discus don't need it anyway. (It's great for growing out smaller young discus in a bb tank, but that's the only time I would use it.)
I always feed my discus Hikari frozen brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp, discus Bio-Gold pellets, Frozen bloodworms, freeze-dried Australian blackworms, good quality flakes like Omega One, Tetramin Bits, or Crisps, or similar products, frozen krill - they even eat algae wafers.
For fish that size, twice a day feedings would be good. Or smaller feedings 3 X a day is ok too.

Once your tank is fully cycled, you really don't need to do any acclimating of Josie & Miranda's excellent quality fish. As long as the temp in the bag and that in the tank are within 5 degrees F, or so, of each other, just drop & plop, as they say.
Drop them one at a time into a net held above a bucket (so the bag water flows through into the bucket) and plop each fish right into your tank straight from the net. No acclimation time needed, as Chicago discus's pH is very close to yours.

All the best to you, Doogy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.