The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, have been mulling over and over about going with a discus planted tank. A local guy here is bringing in amazing discus and the variety seems endless. Kept discus before and loved them. Ended up getting rid of them only because I went saltwater, although finding them boring was a factor (over time)..That is not going to happen any more as my fish keeping has changed.

I will be getting rid of all the barbs, clown loaches,zebra danios, currently in the tank (90 gallon). Keeping the cardinal tetras. Wondering if keeping different varieties of rainbows would work. I'm guessing they have to go as well. Thoughts?

I want to do this right, with higher temps and big water changes, so most of the plants have to go as well? Would keeping the temperature at 85 degrees be too much for the run of the mill plants? That's the part I'm struggling with. Love to set up another tank , but that is out of the question.All discus lovers please respond. Thanks

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Most reasonably-sized discus do just fine in 82 F, and that's an ok temp for many plants as well - no higher temp is needed unless you have small, very young fish that would do better in 85 degrees (and you wouldn't want to grow out very young discus in a planted environment anyway, in view of the risk of limiting their growth and producing poorly-shaped &/or stunted specimens.)
Discus from 3" & larger do very well in 82 F, as do many plants such as most varieties of amazon swords, anubias, java ferns, vals, sags, jumbo grasses, crypts, lotuses, hygros, bacopas, rotalas, and a number of others. (Avoid gravel as substrate - use another substrate that is easy to keep very clean - pool filter sand is best imo).
You may safely keep discus in a planted set-up if you get near adult fish, say approx. 4.5" or larger. Smaller fish should be grown out in a bare-bottom tank for a couple/few months until they reach that size.

Rainbows are not good discus tank-mates. Be sure to do a proper quarantine of your discus before introducing them to your cycled tank containing the cardinals, and be sure to get your discus only from a well-known fully reliable source for supplying good quality discus. ( Are you sure your local guy falls into that category ?) I can direct you to good Canadian sources for quality fish if you wish and advise you on proper QT procedures.

Suggest it would be good for you to refresh your knowledge of discus-keeping needs by having a read through my 'Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus', located here in the Fish section - click on the first thread - the sticky - FAQ & Articles.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for all of the info. Yes a concern I had was with stunting in a planted tank where nitrates could pose a problem. Really glad that 82 degrees would be fine for these discus. They are all 4+ inches so am guessing they are past the stunt stage if they are already not stunted. I will let you know where he gets them. I'll try getting a video up of the discus he is presently holding. Really want your opinion.

Bump: https://www.facebook.com/joe.minnett/videos/10206793927981884/

Hope you can see it. Quality is poor.

Bump: Will take a look at your quide.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.minnett/videos/10206793927981884/

Was in to see the new shipment he got in a few days ago ,and they are amazing. Definitely going discus. The breeder he gets them from is Tony Tan he said. World renowned breeder apparently.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Based on what I see here, most of those discus seem to be healthy, well-colored, in good condition, and well-shaped. A minority few seem to be slightly sub-standard but not significantly so. Just be a touch careful as to what specimens you select. If they're Tony Tan discus, they should be good, but I wonder if your local contact/importer is taking some 'pot luck' shipments for better prices ? - or I wonder if he isn't perhaps receiving them through another 'broker' as a third party recipient ?just a thought.
Would you care to tell me the prices being asked/ with sizes ?
Overall, I don't think you can go wrong - they look pretty good for ready availability in Nfld., which I wouldn't have expected. Forgive me, just wanting to be cautious & perfectly honest with my opinion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No not at all. Appreciate all your feedback. Without a doubt the nicest looking discus I've ever seen in St.John's. He has been getting them in now for a couple of years now I think , or close to it. Many hobbyists here are going with discus because of him..lol. He is asking $50 and up to $140 for discus I saw tonight. All depending on type and size. In the meantime I have no idea how to pick them out, other than the colors and shape are good as far as I'm concerned , but then again am far from a discus expert. Reading more about them all the time. The names are pretty confusing..lol. He did tell me that he has been getting deals on the fish lately because he buys a lot of them??

Just joined Simply Discus tonight and found you are there as well. I know I'm talking to the right guy. Thanks again. I posed a loaded question there a while ago. The thing for me is wanting the fish to get their biggest in a planted tank. May look at selling all the contents for the discus. Heavy on my mind.

Also that was a video of a 75 gallon. He has another 130 opposite that with more varieties and sizes.

Bump: I'm going to try to get a video up of my tank tomorrow and would like any suggestions from you . Thanks again

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the video.
Will you be video-taping the fish in the tanks at the seller's premises ?
If so, try to tape those specimens you're interested in, and if the photos are good enough to gauge their condition, I'll give you my views on their coloration, shape, apparent health, etc.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Paul, will try to do that. Have some changes to make with my tank before purchase......snow storm here today ....unreal. But that's living here. When I get back in to see them, I'll take some videos and pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the cardinals. They are a greedy fish and have a insatiable appetite as I am sure you know, so they do pose a problem regarding the discus having enough food and the increase in nitrates caused by the fish waste. Just a thought!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
A decent sized school of cardinals (25+) can be a great tankmate in an established & well maintained planted discus tank. We had 50+ cardinals in a 135 with 10 adult discus, 6 sterbai corydoras & 4 longfin ancistrus, running 2 Eheim 2217 canisters & a Coralife 12x Turbo Twist UV sterilizer, with 40%-50% water changes every other day. I never had any issues where my cardinals were of a detriment to my discus & everyone ate fine. Steven's concern sounds more like an issue of not feeding in different locations. If we fed beefheart on right side for the discus, then flake on left for the cardinals, the fish would learn to go to their respective side of the tank when the lights came on & the food would be there momentarily.

However, cardinals can also end up as a snack for your discus. We would lose 1-2 cardinals per month by one of our male discus. That might have also been a factor of why our cardinals did not bother the discus when they were eating. 0:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
That video is insane!!!

Reactions: Nordic
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.