The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I'm getting a 55 gallon by the end of the month. Yesterday, I got my 4 inch discus for only $15. He's currently in a 10g quarantine; or the only other tank I can put him in. He's going to be the first inhabitant of the 55 gallon once it has cycled.

Here is my plan for the tank:

Fish
4-5 Adult Discus
5 (or possibly more) corys
30+ Cardinal/neon tetras
1 clown pleco
maybe a m/f pair of apistos

Plants
Amazon Frogbit
Sword plants
Vals
Dwarf hairgrass
possibly more

Substrate
(still not sure, but have some ideas)
Sand
Fine, Black Gravel
Eco-Complete (if I find some)

Filtration
Fluval 404
maybe power head for circulation
possibly more

Decoration
A lot of wood

Questions
Is this a good plan?
What should I add or remove?
What other South American plants can I add?
Can I add any more fish? If so, what?
How many pounds of substrate would be needed for a 2-4" bed?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Too small a tank for discus. discus are a shoaling fish and need # to do best. Witha 55 gal you may get 5 at the most.
That being said, I have 7 in a heavy planted 75 gal,and I have to stay on top of it(water change ,filter clean,gravel vac) to ensure water quality.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I definitely woudn't add more fish. Adding more plants would help; discus demand good water quality and plants help you achieve that. Like snake said, you need to keep on top of it. A 4" discus in a ten gallon tank, for example, needs to be monitored very closely. Are there plants in that tank? Has it been cycled?

You can get Eco Complete from Aquariumplants.com. Here's a substrate calculator: http://fish.bakerweb.biz/calculators.html

Good luck! :icon_bigg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, and yes the 10 gallon has been cycled. The discus is very skittish, but has really brightened up since I got him yesterday. There aren't any live plants in the ten gallon other than some java moss. I do 50% water changes every other day on the 10 gallon. If there needs to be more plants, I float some stems of rotala indica on the surface (no substrate). It has one of those dual foam filters and a fluval 105 running.

Thanks for the substrate calculator.

I have a few more questions though:
What is more natural for discus: sand or eco-complete?
What other plants could I add from South America?

·
Registered
663 Posts
To find other South American plants you could go to http://www.tropica.com/ and in advanced search enter South America for continent. It'll give you a list of possibilities which you could fine-tune for your aquarium by using the other search parameters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.