The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've purchased many discus from Mr. Wang at KHS Aquarium in Flushing Queens. He used to have a store in Elmhurst and he had a lot fish tanks full of discus at home as well.

Now he opened up a new store on Northern blvd in Flushing. I want to hear from people who also puchased discus from him in the past.

I think he imports discus from Hong Kong (Wayne's Discus) because all his discus fit the description of Wayne's discus. He gets good quality discus sometime, but not so good discus other time. I went to KHS two weeks ago and he just turned down the water temp to 78F and let those left over discus get sick and die in the tank. They were in very bad health condition when I was there. However, it was a different story when I was there three weeks ago when there are still some good quality ones in the tank.

I am back to Discus keeping after a 10 year break. I feel I really do have this thing with discus after trying to keep many other fish species. In the end, I chose discus.

What do you guys think about Mr. Wang's discus in terms quality?

I have been to Simply Discus lately and also done some research on the internet. Kenny's Discus seems very popular among the hobbyist. I've sent emails to Kenny. But I did not get a reply. So I think he is very busy dealing with his regular customers and not interested in getting any new ones.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kenny's current batch is sold out, and I think he's taking some R&R until the next batch comes in, hopefully this weekend he will post pictures. I am going with Kenny 100%, his service is unmatched.

As far as Mr. Wang, I've never heard of him. But any vendor out there, who would turn down the temp so the fish would get sick and die doesn't even deserve the words I am typing right now my book. There are plenty of hobyists out there who would have adopted his fish, if he didn't want them anymore!

·
Registered
751 Posts
What is R&R? Do you know how much shipping cost Kenny charges? I'm in Queens.
R&R - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R&R_(military)

No idea. My guess would be around $100 to your home, or half of that to the local airport if there are direct flights. I am either getting them shipped home or to Newark. Just not sure yet if I want to deal with the hassle of going to Newark and finding there where my fish are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to be the first ones to pick the discus to get good ones. I remember 2 years ago before his shop burns down. He brought in 7" legit size blue turks. They were all fat, very round and big. It was his biggest shipment that year. People like Hans and Kenny would have priced the crap out of those fish to $250-300. Mr. Wang still sold them at only $150.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any idea he still does he still import Wayne?
I am not sure where is he iimporting discus from now. But I recall seeing discus post from Wayne Discus posted on the wall of his basement at home many years ago. He did not tell me where his discus originated.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to be the first ones to pick the discus to get good ones. I remember 2 years ago before his shop burns down. He brought in 7" legit size blue turks. They were all fat, very round and big. It was his biggest shipment that year. People like Hans and Kenny would have priced the crap out of those fish to $250-300. Mr. Wang still sold them at only $150.
I agreed. The good ones normally gone fast. So you need to be there early to get to pick the best one from the shipment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ive bought quite a few discus from Mr Huang back in the days. His discus supplier was always Discus Sanctuary from Malaysia. He use to supply many of the other LFS with discus and if you wanted pick of the shipment, you would have to be there the day of shipment to get the really nice fish. Back then Discus Sanctuary would post a list of what was coming in to Mr Huang on another forum and when the shipment was due to arrive. I always made sure to be there the day of shipment and was rewarded with some really nice fish. I even helped Mr Huang unpack and acclimate a huge shipment from DS at his home one time, and while i was there the owners from other stores would come in and get what they wanted. I have not been to his new store yet as I no longer keep discus, but I am disturbed to hear that he would intentionally drop the temps on the tanks. If that is what is going on, i would steer clear. Kenny and Hans are top notch and you cant go wrong with either. If you see something you want from Kenny when his new shipment comes in, make sure you call right away, he sells out very quickly. If you are looking for breeding stock then look no further than Hans, he sells some amazing adults and proven breeding pairs. His prices seem to be a bit high, but you get what you pay for, and Hans fish are AAAA+++++ quality.

- Ruben

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive bought quite a few discus from Mr Huang back in the days. His discus supplier was always Discus Sanctuary from Malaysia. He use to supply many of the other LFS with discus and if you wanted pick of the shipment, you would have to be there the day of shipment to get the really nice fish. Back then Discus Sanctuary would post a list of what was coming in to Mr Huang on another forum and when the shipment was due to arrive. I always made sure to be there the day of shipment and was rewarded with some really nice fish. I even helped Mr Huang unpack and acclimate a huge shipment from DS at his home one time, and while i was there the owners from other stores would come in and get what they wanted. I have not been to his new store yet as I no longer keep discus, but I am disturbed to hear that he would intentionally drop the temps on the tanks. If that is what is going on, i would steer clear. Kenny and Hans are top notch and you cant go wrong with either. If you see something you want from Kenny when his new shipment comes in, make sure you call right away, he sells out very quickly. If you are looking for breeding stock then look no further than Hans, he sells some amazing adults and proven breeding pairs. His prices seem to be a bit high, but you get what you pay for, and Hans fish are AAAA+++++ quality.

- Ruben
I am not sure whether Mr. Huang intentionally turned down the water temp in his discus tanks. But I just found it is odd to see that happening in his tank. Or just by accident or one of his store staffs did it without notifying Mr. Huang.

Anyway, Kenny and Huang seem great seller to deal with after hearing so many good stories about them. Too bad they are not local in my area, the shipping cost just kills my desire to order fish from them. I did see the new green discus from Kenny this month and they are cost $800 to $1400 each? That turns me down.. The price they want would never be justified to me. And Han's jumbo discus cost $300 a piece. I think I may be able to afford some of that if I hit PowerBall jackpot. I know some people are willing to pay that much money for their fish and many would disagree with me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts