The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Paul or anyone who has tried garlic to entice your fish to eat flake food.Since I am in the mood for experimenting with feeding my discus could you give me an idea on how you go about this.thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hi Paul or anyone who has tried garlic to entice your fish to eat flake food.Since I am in the mood for experimenting with feeding my discus could you give me an idea on how you go about this.thanks

Why do you think the garlic is needed? Are the fish not currently eating?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Just use garlic juice (you can press your own fresh garlic cloves if you wish) or just buy Seachem GarlicGuard and soak some fish food in it.

I hear Discus love beefheart, though I would only feed it occasionally and not everyday. High in protein and can be messy. I don't think it would hurt to add a little bit to a food mixture if that is what you are making, just to entice the fish a bit.

Bet they love bloodworms and California blackworms.

If you want to buy a high quality staple food, there is New Life Spectrum Finicky Fish formula that has garlic and New Zealand Green Lipped/Shelled Mussels. Marketed toward finicky eaters for a reason as the Mussels and garlic are enticers. New Life Spectrum Thera A has more garlic, but no mussels.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do you think the garlic is needed? Are the fish not currently eating?
Hi Iks. just 6 discus a week ago and they will consume Australian black worms and frozen blood worms they won't touch discus flakes and pellets and just for the sake of variety and nutrition would like to entice them for this type of food.

Bump:
Just use garlic juice (you can press your own fresh garlic cloves if you wish) or just buy Seachem GarlicGuard and soak some fish food in it.

I hear Discus love beefheart, though I would only feed it occasionally and not everyday. High in protein and can be messy. I don't think it would hurt to add a little bit to a food mixture if that is what you are making, just to entice the fish a bit.

Bet they love bloodworms and California blackworms.

If you want to buy a high quality staple food, there is New Life Spectrum Finicky Fish formula that has garlic and New Zealand Green Lipped/Shelled Mussels. Marketed toward finicky eaters for a reason as the Mussels and garlic are enticers. New Life Spectrum Thera A has more garlic, but no mussels.
Hi waterlife,thanks for the suggestions,I did get some frozen beef heart with shrimp and kale and they do tear into that but i remove any after 10 minutes and do water changes every third day.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hi Iks. just 6 discus a week ago and they will consume Australian black worms and frozen blood worms they won't touch discus flakes and pellets and just for the sake of variety and nutrition would like to entice them for this type of food.

Bump:
Hi waterlife,thanks for the suggestions,I did get some frozen beef heart with shrimp and kale and they do tear into that but i remove any after 10 minutes and do water changes every third day.

Discus can be finicky eaters. I've been scolded in the past for pampering my discus and giving them what they want (freeze dried blackworms). I too couldn't get them to touch flake food right away. Go without feeding for a few days or up to a week (the fish will be fine!). Get them good and hungry and then start giving them some good flake food. They'll eat it once they're good and hungry!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Discus can be finicky eaters. I've been scolded in the past for pampering my discus and giving them what they want (freeze dried blackworms). I too couldn't get them to touch flake food right away. Go without feeding for a few days or up to a week (the fish will be fine!). Get them good and hungry and then start giving them some good flake food. They'll eat it once they're good and hungry!
Yea they make you want to spoil them.They do like the black worms but tell me how many should I feed in a day, right now I take one cube break in half and stick to front of tank in two separate places so the big guy doesn't take over.Do you think twice a day is to much.I have 6 5 inch fish

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yea they make you want to spoil them.They do like the black worms but tell me how many should I feed in a day, right now I take one cube break in half and stick to front of tank in two separate places so the big guy doesn't take over.Do you think twice a day is to much.I have 6 5 inch fish
Twice a day is perfect. I feed 3 times a day about five times a week because I'm fattening mine up. This does require more maintenance on my part though. Twice a day will work great, though.

I would think one cube for 6 discus wouldn't be enough, but then again mine each like machines and are full grown. Every fish is different so you'll have to experiment. If they aren't eating all you're putting in, I'd even lower the amount.

My wild ones eat flakes like it's their job. My captive bred discus who were spoiled by beef hearts took work. I didn't feed them for two days, and then I fed them a mixture of bloodworms and Hikari Discus bloodworms/spirulina mix thing they have. Then I was slowly able to get them onto flakes by mixing it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I dont think feeding adult discus 2x a day is too much. But feeding the cubes of blackworms 2x a day is never going to help in your effort to get them eating flakes! I'm a big proponent of multiple feedings spread throughout the day whenever possible (for any species). But, the beauty of multiple feedings is that you can provide different foods. I'll again suggest "starving" the fish for at least a few days if not longer (maybe more than a week if necessary). It goes against what we know and how we think; but the fish will be perfectly fine without food for a lot longer than you might think.

Get 'em good and hungry and then offer nothing except the flake you want them to eat. They may not accept the first offering. Which is fine; clean out the uneaten food and dont offer anything else until the next day when you again offer the flake. I dont think you'll find a single case of a fish wasting away from starvation because it wast too picky to eat what you offered!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I use garlic that just comes crushed in a small bottle from the grocery. That makes it handy to keep as it lasts a long time. For me, it is a standby when I have a cichlid beginning to bloat and has stopped eating even though able. Just a drop of the juice in the QT tank will cause them to eat and that lets me move to feeding medicated food.
I might assume many fish will do the same? Something about the smell makes them grab anything falling through the water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.