The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says..Best play to buy discus on Long island anyone?
Any good breeders or really good LFS..

All i've heard about is Nassau Discus and they have a few nice ones for 30$..Just gotta make sure I got the best deal before I buy a few.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I dont know about LI but in Queens there is this little store on woodside ave. and 75th or 76th street I think . They have lots of different size discus , I went for the small ones 1.5" dia for $18 a piece (cheapest I ever saw) . Btw they just laid eggs yesterday in my planted community tank , eggs were still there this morning so i am hoping for the best :)
That store advertises on craigslist sometimes , thats how I found it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New here - don't know if you're still looking but I was at Tropical Showcase at Hicksville yesterday and they had a nice variety. Did not inquire on prices but the prices for the other things in the store that I was looking at weren't too bad.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Private breeders only get about $10.00 per discus when they sell to petstores.
Most want $25-$30 per juvie discus 1.0+ inchers when you visit their fishrooms.
You can negotiate prices based on how many they have.

Just remember the effort and time, don't low ball, but offering $100.00 for a group of 5-6 discus is kosher in my opinion. You might be able to push for 7 if the pair had a large spawn, or if the breeder needs to make room for another spawn.

Wholesale prices on imported discus are around $2.00-$3.00 a pop for juvies.
They are then resold to petstores for about $7.50-$10.00 each.
Petstores then sell them around $20.00-$40.00 each

Just letting you know how much wiggle room you have depending on where you purchase them from.

-Gordon

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you can get to Brooklyn, there is Marks Discus, you can find him online, he has nice stuff.
There are several stores in queens(Elmhurst) that have Discus cheap.
There are several breeders also
as stated you can look on SimpleDiscus forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.