The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time for a change...

I was never really happy with the color and texture of the substrate. It was originally pure flourite, then flourite covered with gray gravel, and now flourite covered with white sand. I'm much happier now :D I spent a while looking for a suitable product -- this sand is safe for fish and doesn't change the chemistry of the water. :thumbsup:

This photo was taken pretty quickly and the tank is much harder to photograph because of light metering. The grass is out of sorts and there are some changes I'm planning on making to help it look better.

1. Plants: I plan on adding some larger swords to fill in the background a bit (especially behind the large boulder on the left). My LFS carries two types of swords -- a no-name one (used in this scape) and Tropica. The Tropicas seem to grow much taller than the no-names so I'm waiting for their next shipment to arrive. I also want to straighten out the grass. I've thought about removing it but I think the Discus really like the shade it provides.
  2. Fish: We had some Blue Rams that died after about 12 months (they mated like crazy and I think that burnt them out). I really liked Blue Rams though and plan on adding more soon. The other thing I'm pondering is trading off some discus and getting a more cohesive bunch. The Blue Diamond and the Morning Glory *pop* like cRaZy and look so nice. Its hard to photograph but they almost appear electric in the tank in real life.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Looks very nice Vince+Carry! :D

Have you added anything to the sand to make it more nutritious for all those Sword plants?

I'd like to see a picture say two months from now, when everything is more established. I avoid sand since it is difficult to keep looking pristine... looks impressive though in the beginning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you added anything to the sand to make it more nutritious for all those Sword plants?
The sand is layered on top of a Flourite base and I use Sea-Chem tabs under each sword.

I'd like to see a picture say two months from now, when everything is more established.
We'll keep you posted for sure. Most of the plants are established (the tank is over a year old actually) except for the one on the far left. I just added it this week and the leaves are still from the emersed variety. I'm curious to see how the sand holds up too.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Is that wood in your scape or rock> If it is wood, it looks great....a lot like slate...ominous even. Are you using Root tabls? Is that sand really covering a true substrate or is is by itself?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that wood in your scape or rock> If it is wood, it looks great....a lot like slate...ominous even.
Some rock and some wood. The large chunk on the right is wood and another smaller chunk just left of center is wood as well.

Are you using Root tabls?
Yes

Is that sand really covering a true substrate or is is by itself?
The sand is layered on top of a Flourite base

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The rams may have died of old age. Since i seriously doubt you have water quality problems, i would say that's what happened. Their normal life span is less than 3 years ussualy, and who knows how old they were when you got'em.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would be worried about the sand falling down through the flourite
Me too :D I've done my research and I'm thinking it should be okay. I tried to keep it a little bit thinner in the areas around the plants. Also in the back corner I can still see the Flourite and there are two distinct layers still.

What type of rock is that?
I can't say for sure. We picked it out of a very large gravel yard here in Calgary. We filled up three bins and they said it wasn't even worth paying for so we got them for free :thumbsup: If I had to guess though I'd say it might be Rundle Rock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts