The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Thanks for the referral to my guide, Plant keeper - I try to help discus newbies whenever I can.
As for kribkeeper's question, the answer is yes, you can keep all those fish with discus.
The only proviso is that Angels, depending on their size in particular, could possibly pose a problem - I would suggest, starting out that is, to get your feet wet with the others, AND DISCUS, before introducing Angels. Many diskeepers keep Angels with Discus successfully, but others have problems - some say Angels can pass on harmful pathogens to discus - although this is not common.
And Hatchet fish are good tankmates for discus, but you need a covered tank - Hatchets are notorious jumpers !
The Bolivian Rams & Kuhlies would be great tankmates for discus.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Sure you can, kribkeeper, but 5 or 6 is better than 4.
With only 4, you may experience more 'pecking order'/agression problems, than with 5,6, or more. Just keep that in mind.
No worries though, try it, if you don't like the 'bullying' you might see, just add another one or two.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thanks for the referral to my guide, Plant keeper - I try to help discus newbies whenever I can.
As for kribkeeper's question, the answer is yes, you can keep all those fish with discus.
The only proviso is that Angels, depending on their size in particular, could possibly pose a problem - I would suggest, starting out that is, to get your feet wet with the others, AND DISCUS, before introducing Angels. Many diskeepers keep Angels with Discus successfully, but others have problems - some say Angels can pass on harmful pathogens to discus - although this is not common.
And Hatchet fish are good tankmates for discus, but you need a covered tank - Hatchets are notorious jumpers !
The Bolivian Rams & Kuhlies would be great tankmates for discus.
Hope this helps.
Your welcome.. :proud:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I already have the fish i mentioned lol. You have a great forum there it is much more clear on quite a few things then most. I really dont want to keep 6-10 discus though, could i get buy with 4 in a heavily planted tank?
Discus should be kept at minimum of 6 discus. If you can get 6, rather than 4, it's better if you can get a pair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.