The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking the plunge into Discus and was wondering if anyone on this board is keeping Discus and if so, where they purchased them.

I've been noticing ads in my aquarium magazines for a new breeder in the city and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good suppliers around town....

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I'm thinking of taking the plunge into Discus and was wondering if anyone on this board is keeping Discus and if so, where they purchased them.

I've been noticing ads in my aquarium magazines for a new breeder in the city and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good suppliers around town....

Visit the local guy. Having a local discus expert is worth way more than any price difference in the fish you find....DC

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DC, is there anything specific I should look for when visiting the hatchery? The local breeder does showings by appointment and I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for other than not seeing a tank of dying and dead fish. :)

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
DC, is there anything specific I should look for when visiting the hatchery? The local breeder does showings by appointment and I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for other than not seeing a tank of dying and dead fish. :)
See how receptive they are to helping you be a successful discus hobbyist and if they are willing to be accessible when you have a problem. If they just want to sell you fish and say good luck, you can probably get better prices and selection on the web. If they are a genuine hobbyist they will help you learn how to care for the fish and be there when you have a problem. I do not know if there is anything specific to look for, I pretty much had to pass an interview and inspection before I got my fish, through that experience I learned more than I knew. Maybe he will chime in....DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Nobody local is keeping Discus? I just sent in my membership application for GSAS so, perhaps I would find more opinions there :)
You might stand a better chance asking that at Simply Discus.....DC

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DC, I've been reading a lot of the other Discus threads that you've contributed to on here and I've found them to be very helpful and make me think that this endeavor isn't as intimidating as it seems!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I post here and on Simply Discus, but I'm rarely on anymore since I graduated from college and got a job. I drop in from time to time though.

BTW, if the local breeder you found is Ken's Discus, there have been many positive reviews of his discus. He would defintely be a good source of information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts