·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought 4 juvenile Discus two days ago and the
guy from the fish store said they would get red in them
when they mature. One has a red stripe already
on the bottom of his dorsal fin but they all appear
pale blue at the moment and are about 4-5cm.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Can you add another picture? i probably wont be able to identify the type of Discus but i'd sure like to see it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It Is a Discus, Not a Dollar,
That I am sure of. I will try to get some better pictures later today.
I think They might be crossbred, and I can see some orange tinge in the bases of their fins.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There is so many different varieties of discus you may be better off posting on a discus forum such as Simply discus. If I had to venture a guess I would say a snow white but I'm no discus expert. There is a member on here that has a lot of discus experience his user name is Discus Paul maybe he can chime in and be of more help.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
It Is a Discus, Not a Dollar,
That I am sure of. I will try to get some better pictures later today.
I think They might be crossbred, and I can see some orange tinge in the bases of their fins.
Yes, it's a cross - and it looks very much like what they call a "ghost" discus these days, or a variation thereof.
Can you post some more pics ?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yes, it's a cross - and it looks very much like what they call a "ghost" discus these days, or a variation thereof.
Can you post some more pics ?
And speak of the devil:icon_evil

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Wow, what a coincidence, uahua, you mention my name while I'm typing my post.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a ghost discus, but with some red in it, which I haven't seen before - wonder what the parentage is ?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
BTW, Joshyboi, that's a pretty good-looking discus for it's size. Given some time, it could turn out to be a real nice fish. Your seller said it would get red as it matured, which makes me suspect he knows the parentage - ask him, why don't you ?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Wow, what a coincidence, uahua, you mention my name while I'm typing my post.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a ghost discus, but with some red in it, which I haven't seen before - wonder what the parentage is ?
Yes what a coincidence. Not to derail the OP's thread but what distinct features make a discus a "ghost"? I just took a guess since I know that snow whites are solid white and lack vertical stress bars. Also since the OP mentioned pale blue and snow whites can show iridescent blue in their fins. Does the ghost varieties also have white eyes?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The ghost discus I have seen do have the white eyes, and also have the dark-colored 'charcoal-hued ' finnage, and the bodies are generally off-white, smoky, dusty-looking - but at times with a tinge of blue in them - fins &/or body (but not red) - hence the name 'ghost'.

But I'm unfamiliar with the parentage, so it's possible you have a point - maybe a snow white is in fact one side of the parentage - would be good to know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for your helpful info. Coming to a
conclusion that they are red ghosts as there is definetly
red in one of them. next time I go to cairns
I will find out the parentage from Jim. I am very happy with
these little healthy juvenilles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts