The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Fantastic ! Just enjoy the show.
Go with the flow & let nature take it's course. In a community tank, the eggs ( or wrigglers if you get any) will not survive in any event.
If you really wish to have them spawn successfully & raise the young, then you will need to consider isolating the pair ( if they're indeed a pair, or if in fact you have a pair), and get more tanks & equipment.
But I'm sure you're well aware of this.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul,yes I know what is involved but don't have the room but it has already been a great show.the red chackerboard was the most docile and now he or she has turned into a tiger in defense of the eggs.are these like angel fish where the eggs will turn white if not fertilized?I caught them in the act and the second mate seem to cover the eggs with sperm but hard to see so guess we will wait and see.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Hey, you've raised humans before, how hard can it be, right?

Would it maybe work to set up a small portion of the side of the tank with coarse netting only the fry can dart trough?
I know wrigglers can be daft. Been spending my afternoon catching the late hatchlings from my danio experiment, as the oldest ones are now chasing them full time, they have their first gold strip already and are the size of newborn platies. They do grow fast as long as I remember to bring in green water regularly. They seem to grow overnight on those days.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well woke up this morning and all eggs are gone.I noticed lasy night that they began to defend them less and less and the big turquoise was helping himself.i wish they would have lasted long enough to know if they were fertilized but like the angel fish I bred years ago it seems to take two or three times for them to get the hang of it.I will keep an eye on them and see what happens.I may be wrong but if nothing else I must have things right for them to be playing Romeo and Juliet but with a different ending...
Does any body know if peppering in Discus can be reversed by using a light substrate and background???

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Yes, peppering may disappear completely, or at least diminish significantly, if the fish is moved from a dark substrate into a very light one, especially white. And a light background will also help with the reversal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.