The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey I have just started collecting equipment for a fresh start in my 55g. I want to end up with Discus in the tank, and it will be the first time I having had them.
So please give me any links you have used to gather information on them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:iamwithst

No takers huh.....Well today at work I have found this

discus

Also it states
# pH: acid to neutral (6.0-7.0)
# Hardness: soft (0-6dH)
# Temperature: 25-30oC.

Does this seem right?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I too am looking at discus, I've never kept them before either. Generally, I consider the discus community a tad neurotic. They're fish, feed them and keep good conditions will be my approach, plants are part of it, fish that are adapted to local water chemistry are also part. I'm not sure but that's the approach I'm taking. I find folks can become a bit fanatical...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yes, both good websites. Although I like Simply, since the site seems faster for me.

I suggest buying from reputable breeders, since they will give you good info. You'll find breeders on both sites. Good luck.

·
Registered
974 Posts
be forewarned that the hardcore discus folks may frown on placing discus in a planted tank....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really? why?
Ya, They do. Just from reading a little last night...They go bare bottom, no gravel, sand or anything. Some do 50% water changes daily!!!!

Do you really have to do that BIG of a water change so often???

Also they say cartage filters are not good with discus, because it does not release CO2 like HOB filters do.

·
Registered
786 Posts
they frown on raising baby/juvenile discus in a planted tank. Basically, they feel that since you have to feed babies 4 - 5 times a day, it's very difficult to do that and keep the tank clean enough so that the food and waste aren't affecting the water quality. It *is* easier to vacuum waste from a bare bottom tank but I think they underestimate the ability of plants to absorb nutrients from the water and many of us who do EI are doing 50% weekly water changes. If you have a 50-100 babies in a grow-out tank that get heavy feeding, yes, do bare bottom and daily water changes. But if you have a few juvies in a large planted tank, I think you will be just fine as long as you feed them enough and do 50% water changes once or twice a week. The key is to feed them enough so they are not stunted (football looking with huge eyes) which means several times a day. You probably would not need to dose nitrate at all at that point, just potassium, phosphate and micros.

also, most discus people do use canister filters, they discourage the use of carbon in filters because it has been implicated as a cause of HITH (hole in the head) disease.

Keep in mind that some of the folks on the forums are trying to max out their discus - trying to get them to grow as big as 8-9 inches. Some breeders such as Dick Au say that is not necessarily the best for the discus, that they breed better and live longer if they are raised to 6 inches or so. That the extra protein and extra weight just makes for a bigger, fatter discus and not necessarily a better discus. Just another opinion.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
:iamwithst

No takers huh.....Well today at work I have found this

discus

Also it states
# pH: acid to neutral (6.0-7.0)
# Hardness: soft (0-6dH)
# Temperature: 25-30oC.

Does this seem right?
Tip of the iceberg. I have killed plenty so here are some pointers I learned the hard way. Have heaters that can achieve and maintain a temp of 90F, keep tank at 85F normally. The lower the ph you can keep stable the better. Buy adult fish for a planted tank, babies/juvies are too much for a beginner to handle. Get a TDS meter, discus are hardy fish if you pay attention to particular water parameters, TDS is one of them. Get a RO unit, some folks disagree with using RO water but it is cheap insurance. And the best advice I can give you? Find a discus expert nearby and let them guide you, believe me you will get all kinds of advice on forums, a recipe for disaster when you have a sick fish......DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Ya, They do. Just from reading a little last night...They go bare bottom, no gravel, sand or anything. Some do 50% water changes daily!!!!

Do you really have to do that BIG of a water change so often???

Also they say cartage filters are not good with discus, because it does not release CO2 like HOB filters do.

The folks that go barebottom only have discus in the tank. If you have enough bottom feeders, i.e., cories, geos, cats, etc. they will keep the substrate/bottom clean enough.

Plenty of discus fanatics change 50% or more of their water daily, their fish, their option. You need to have pristine water with discus, I do water changes depending on TDS. I do a 50% water change with RO every other day which keeps my TDS below 200, that is where I want it.

A lot of folks age their water to allow CO2 to outgas, CO2 changes the ph, one way to keep the ph stable is to keep CO2 out. Of course we need CO2 in a planted tank, and some go to great lengths and costs to keep the water saturated with CO2. This is a good example of what I meant about getting information from forums in my previous post. Although the statement about HOB filters and CO2 is true, it is totally irrevelant to your cause, i.e., raising discus in a planted tank.......DC

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of folks age their water to allow CO2 to outgas, CO2 changes the ph, one way to keep the ph stable is to keep CO2 out. Of course we need CO2 in a planted tank, and some go to great lengths and costs to keep the water saturated with CO2. This is a good example of what I meant about getting information from forums in my previous post. Although the statement about HOB filters and CO2 is true, it is totally irreverent to your cause, i.e., raising discus in a planted tank.......DC
I had planed on getting a Milwaukee SMS122 PH monitor/controller to help get the PH to be stable.

i would like some Information on RO water......DiabloCanine do you have any links /advise for me?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
The points above are all very good. The hardcores on the discus forums will frown on any non-bare bottom tank, which doesn't mean you can't have discus in a planted tank - it just means you might have a hard time getting advice about it on the other forums.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
discus will live in hard water just fine. its the eggs that will calcify in hard water, however. so if you want to breed, hard water won't work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check your tap water parameters. If you have moderateto high gh/kh, and not really crazy nitare/phosphate levels,straght tap is easiest.
I do a 60% water change(tap w/ Prime)every 5-7 days and have gone 9 days.
The discus have been fine (<2 years).
The important thing with discus is water stability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts