The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I notice that there was a white line running across the tail fin of my 4 inch discus that I have had for 3 weeks. I decided wait and see what happened the next day, as I had absolutely no idea what it could be. Today, I saw that the portion of the tail that had been separated from the rest of the tail was gone. The closest thing I can think of is fin rot, but the tail is perfectly fine, just that a portion of the tail is missing and that a white line runs across the bottom of the tail. Fin rot seems more intense and damaging. The fish is fine, actively searching for food. Do any of you have any idea what this could be?

Tank conditions:
46 Gallon Tank
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: Around five to ten
ph: 7.4
Temperature: 82F
Weekly water changes of 50%

Fish:
7 cardinal tetras
3 koi swordtails (one is a baby)
1 discus

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Sounds like the fin rays may have been broken in shipping and just took a while for them to detach... kind of like bending a finger nail backwards and it taking a while to finally fall off.

I'd keep a close eye out for infection, but if that's what happened I'd imagine the tail should grow back.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
Now that I think about it, it was thrashing pretty wildly in the bag.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
It could also be a little bit of ammonia burn to the tail fin while in the shipping water. Keep up with lots of clean water. It should heal on its own in time, without other issues.

Why just one discus? It's going to be lonely for it's own kind. The are extremely social and are a schooling fish.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to get more, but I am afraid of overstocking and aggression problems. Once my relatives kept a single discus. It was doing quite well, but when they added more, the more recent all teamed up on the original fish.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
They are cichlids, so there can be aggression issues. Aggression is more often encountered in juvenile fish. Here's a quick shot of my gang looking for bloodworms after feeding tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It could also be a little bit of ammonia burn to the tail fin while in the shipping water. Keep up with lots of clean water. It should heal on its own in time, without other issues.

Why just one discus? It's going to be lonely for it's own kind. The are extremely social and are a schooling fish.
X2 on both. Discus are somewhat sensitive to ammonia burns. They are much happier in groups, too.

Tommy

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange. Some of the tail has already grown back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts