The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever keep discus and angelfish together or in different tanks but in the same area.
omboocat

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yes, I did.:smile: No bullying has been observed although I had moved all my angelfish to my pond since they are showing eagerness to breed.:icon_roll

I don't this is advisable due to the following reasons.
1. Diseases. Angelfish are, by far, very strong and are quite resistant to diseases whereas discus mostly aren't.

2. Feeding competition. The competition between them is very strong. Angelfish are pigs and are quite greedy whereas discus bide their time to graze on food.

3. Behavior. Discus are often shy and are easily bullied. Angelfish are cichlids and despite being believed to be peaceful, most are rather violent.

In other words, this mix can be possible but only if you find ways to ensure that diseases are prevented, discus given a fair share of their food and constant monitoring of their behavior(most especially the angelfish).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice, is it safe to keep them in the same room but in differnet tanks due to the angels possibly carry the virus they are know for that could harm discus.
omboocat

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I keep discus and angels in the same tank, which is a 125 gallon tank. No problems with territory, diseases, etc. Well, actually, the angel's keep to themselves and the discus keep to themselves. I have only seen my discus chase an angel once, but it was a rather short, quick chase (more like a 2" sprint) and that was it. I thought it was strange, becuase I would often see the same 2 swim next to each other without a bother. The angel's even stay away from the discus spawning area. It's just the angel fish are more aggressive eaters.

You basically have to pick more aggressive discus than angels. All my discus, except for the latest acquisition (Red Turq) stand their ground and I think are more aggressive (bullies) than the angels. The angels get to the food faster, but once my discus get to the food, they do their fare share of eating "like a pig".

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've heard and read a lot suggesting that the whole 'angels carrying deadly discus parasites issue' is now mostly a thing of the past, seeing how the majority of fish we buy are domestically bred and no longer come straight out of the river with parasites and illnesses. However, that doesn't change poor domestic breeding conditions, so always make sure you know where your fish are coming from.

The biggest factor to keep in mind, IMO, would be making sure the discus get enough to eat, since angels tend to be more tenacious.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
I use to also house Angels and Discus in the same tank 150 gallon though and they stayed on there own sides. Angels on the left and Discus on the right. I would feed at both ends of the tank and never seen angels going to discus side to eat but if they did the discus would chase them away and this went both ways. I think if you had a large enough tank there should not be a problem that might be the key thing there. Nothing should be used less than 75 gallon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.